Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buy an (your first) Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMIM

Hi I’m new to electronics and would like some advice on buying an oscilloscope.

I actually own an oscilloscope already – the Velleman HPS10 (10MHz sampling rate. 2MHz analogue bandwidth). Trouble is, I don’t really like it. I hate the dot matrix display. I find the unit a bit bulky.
**broken link removed**

I was thinking of getting USBscope50 1GS/s Digital storage oscilloscope/75MHz Analogue bandwidth. (Very small unit)
**broken link removed**

Or what about something from china (ebay) – (I find the dimensions of the 2nd unit too big though)
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I don’t want to spend more that £200. The unit I have is a 10Mhz/ 2Mhzbandwith – Is this adequate? What stage do you have to reach before you need something more powerful?

When would you require a 1GS/s / 75MHz unit over a 10Mhz/ 2Mhzbandwith.
Is the USBscope50 worth the money?
Im really after a small unit that has a nice looking interface (maybe something like a real oscilloscope) that will be useful for many years to come, in case my electronics knowledge increases and I require a better unit than the one I currently own.

What kind of oscilloscope is useful in tv repair etc.
(If you are wondering what I might be doing with an oscilloscope at this early stage, well im tinkering with some IR/RF circuits at the moment. Also I have started to work with PICs.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry but the 'scope you've bought is just a toy. You could probably get a 10MHz analogue 'scope for the same price off ebay which would be better value for money in my opinion.

Another member has bought this cheap Chinese 'scope and likes it.
**broken link removed**

Thanks for the reply Hero999. So you say the Velleman HS10 is just a toy – it’s good to know, this means buying another scope is a good idea. (I’ll have to try and get rid of it on ebay)

But what about the scope that I like – the

**broken link removed**

or is this just another toy?

Thanks.

(The one you linked is not really pc based. I wanted something PC based.)

Last edited:
I've not had any experience with PC 'scopes.

The Chinese 'scope I posted has a USB interface, two channels and is able to work without a PC.

The 'scope you posted is only single channel so for dual channel you'll need to buy two. It does have the advantage of galvanic isolation which most 'scopes don't offer.

EDIT:
Both 'scopes only offer 8-bits vertical resolution which dosen't sound very good to me.

Last edited:
Well I like the idea of galvanic isolation and that extra features can be added in software.

What's so bad about PC based 'scopes?

I've never used one but I've thought about buying one before.

I've just noticed another thing: the Elan 'scope doesn't have an external trigger; is this typical for a PC based 'scope?

Last edited:
There's little reason to want a PC based scope, real scopes are more useful and better featured.

oh. I did not know that.

I really needed the portability of the USB pc scope. I always have my laptop with me, so that does not count as part of the size.

I really wanted to buy it. Would it be a total waste to buy it? Is it over priced for what it can do?

oh. I did not know that.

I really needed the portability of the USB pc scope. I always have my laptop with me, so that does not count as part of the size.

I really wanted to buy it. Would it be a total waste to buy it? Is it over priced for what it can do?

They tend to be lacking in basic facilities, and expensive for what they are.

I would suggest one could be useful, but as an ADDITION to a real scope, not as a replacement.

The Chinese 'scope seems to be quite portable too - it can be powered by a battery pack (sold separately). I don't know how heavy or big it is though.

I have to agree with Nigel on this one, buying yourself a real 'scope will pay dividends in the long run. USB 'scopes look great on paper, and perhaps fill a niche depending on what your exact application might be, but for general use, lacking in features and expensive. Also, the required features are only as good as the software support.

Spending £200-£300 you will easily pick up a great secondhand 150-200 Mhz Analog, dual beam or better, 'scope, complete with cursors and all the bells and whistles that go with it. More to the point, it will be robust and accurate.

Don't make the mistake of compromising on the features and accuracy that you will need because of budget restrictions, you really will regret it.

rgds

**broken link removed**

Yes that does look like quite a good 'scope.

I would find the peak input voltage of 35V restrictive and that it's tied to the Windows platform; no Linux or Mac and how can you be sure it won't work on versions after Vista? That in itself is enough to put me off even if it's really good.

Last edited:
My son, who is Microsoft Certified, what ever that means, and I have stayed a way from Vista and use XP Pro, so I can't answer as to the Vista part.
Oh yea, it also want microsoft front page, but worked with out, just cancel the request, I just got tired of it asking for it and gave it.
Kinarfi

Last edited:
I would suggest one could be useful, but as an ADDITION to a real scope, not as a replacement.

Thanks for that line Nigel. I was going to give up on the idea of a pc based till I saw that. I’ll get a real one at some other point when I know a lot more electronics.

I bought the USBscope50. Seems to be made in the UK. – it’s the size of a really fat pen drive, that’s tiny for an oscilloscope. I need the portability.

I have been working with some IR decoders/encoders HT12A / HT12D, the oscilloscope has been very useful. The scope was expensive, it’s only one CH, unless I buy another one and stack it – but it’s small (the reason I bought it) and I like the interface.

Thanks for that line Nigel. I was going to give up on the idea of a pc based till I saw that. I’ll get a real one at some other point when I know a lot more electronics.

I bought the USBscope50. Seems to be made in the UK. – it’s the size of a really fat pen drive, that’s tiny for an oscilloscope. I need the portability.

I have been working with some IR decoders/encoders HT12A / HT12D, the oscilloscope has been very useful. The scope was expensive, it’s only one CH, unless I buy another one and stack it – but it’s small (the reason I bought it) and I like the interface.

As long as it does what you need, then that's all that matters - not too bad a price either.

My son, who is Microsoft Certified, what ever that means, and I have stayed a way from Vista and use XP Pro, so I can't answer as to the Vista part.
Good for him, sorry but Microsoft Certified sounds a bit too much like marketing hype.

Oh yea, it also want microsoft front page, but worked with out, just cancel the request, I just got tired of it asking for it and gave it.
Kinarfi
I wouldn't recommend using MS Front page unless you don't mind if the webpages created with it can't be viewed properly by 40% of the Internet.

I have been working with some IR decoders/encoders HT12A / HT12D, the oscilloscope has been very useful.
Good, I'm glad it does what you want.
The scope was expensive, it’s only one CH, unless I buy another one and stack it – but it’s small (the reason I bought it) and I like the interface.
If they made a two channel 'scope which costs 50% more then I would consider buying it and if it had a separate trigger then I would certainly buy it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend using MS Front page unless you don't mind if the webpages created with it can't be viewed properly by 40% of the Internet.

Rubbish - writing pages that don't work correctly is down to the writer, NOT the package used. What features does Frontpage even give you that are browser specific anyway? - most features are server dependent, and while my webspaces all are Frontpage capable, I never have it enabled.

You should write pages to work in all browsers, and never use anything specific to a particular one.

Good, I'm glad it does what you want.
If they made a two channel 'scope which costs 50% more then I would consider buying it and if it had a separate trigger then I would certainly buy it.

Well it's a stackable design. Allowing up to 4 to be connected together. But that would be a 100% increase for 2nd CH.

As for the separate trigger, I’m new to oscilloscopes so not 100% sure what you mean, but the CH’s can be used independently (different time bases if you wish). In the Demo Mode it lists all 4 channels and gives you buttons to change the trigger mode, im not sure if that is what you mean.

The software (25Mb) available at

Tiny USB Oscillocsope

for both windows and linux goes into demo mode if you dont have the scope connected, if anyone wants to download it and give me their opinion.

Thanks

Last edited:
Most oscilloscopes have an extra trigger which you can set to start the trace when a certain event is detected i.e. positive or negative going voltage above/below a certain threshold.

This has all manner of uses. For example, you could put the trigger on the clock of an MCU and still have two other channels free for watching events synchronised to the clock.

EDIT:
Do you have to buy the software separately?

If I've paid good money for the 'scope I wouldn't want to be stuck using demoware to use it!

Last edited:
y the software separately?

If I've paid good money for the 'scope I wouldn't want to be stuck using demoware to use it!

NO NO. The 25Mb download is not a demo. It's the full software free. But if it does not detect the scope it gives a DEMO of its capabilities, showing a sine wave and square wave. Lets you click on all the buttons to get a feel of what it will be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back