Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building homemade laser hair growth machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hair Guy

Hi guys,

I purchased this laser diodes (650nm) and am waiting for them to arrive atm.

I want to create a standing laser growth machine for hair (simply a stand so the lasers can point down onto the scalp)

The thing is i am an absolute rookie when it comes to setting up the 100-120 diodes with a power supply and switch so i can turn it on and off.

Can someone please give me a comprehensive guide that a noob could understand, i will send $$ to the easiest to understand (probs around $10)

These are the diodes i purchased;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252337464290?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks guys!

The simplest way is to connect the diodes in strings of four. The four series diodes will need a 12V power supply to run. You can connect as many strings across your power supply as your supply can handle; for the 40mA diodes on the eBay listing, 25 strings = 1 Amp, so you'd probably just get a 12V/1.5A or higher current switch mode supply (not the heavy unregulated transformer supplies). If you get a really awful supply, it may destroy your diodes.

Note to others: Those modules will have a series resistor built in to limit the current.

Hi HG,

Welcome to ETO. Care to tell us where you are and put it next to 'Location' on your user page so that is shows in the window on the left of your posts.

Interesting project, but one word of caution: get some certified safety glasses and wear them at all times when the lasers are on so that your eyes are protected.

spec

Hi HG,

Welcome to ETO. Care to tell us where you are and put it next to 'Location' on your user page so that is shows in the window on the left of your posts.

Interesting project, but one word of caution: get some certified safety glasses and wear them at all times when the lasers are on so that your eyes are protected.

spec
Thank you for the heads up, i updated my location too!

The simplest way is to connect the diodes in strings of four. The four series diodes will need a 12V power supply to run. You can connect as many strings across your power supply as your supply can handle; for the 40mA diodes on the eBay listing, 25 strings = 1 Amp, so you'd probably just get a 12V/1.5A or higher current switch mode supply (not the heavy unregulated transformer supplies). If you get a really awful supply, it may destroy your diodes.

Note to others: Those modules will have a series resistor built in to limit the current.
by strings of 4 do you mean 4 reds connect at one point or 2 reds and 2 blues... sorry i am really new to all this, trying to educate myself as i go (no experience in any electrics or anything like this)

laser.png

Hope this image helps; it's some of my best work in MS paint.

Regarding the power supply, you can get one of these:
**broken link removed**
If you're using fewer than 100 LEDs, then the 12V 1A may work, but the 12V 2A will give some headroom. The listing is from Australia, as it is required to pass certain safety checks for it to be legally sold in AU. Try with a single string of diodes first and see that nothing blows up.

Yes. The power supply above comes with a socket-to-terminal-block adapter (terminal block has screws in it and is green). You can connect some wire into the terminal block, which then connects to the diodes as shown in the above diagram, just as you have stated. Keep the exposed power supply wires away from each other when turned on or you may destroy the power supply if they touch for too long.

Yes. The power supply above comes with a socket-to-terminal-block adapter (terminal block has screws in it and is green). You can connect some wire into the terminal block, which then connects to the diodes as shown in the above diagram, just as you have stated. Keep the exposed power supply wires away from each other when turned on or you may destroy the power supply if they touch for too long.
Thanks for clearing it up, is it a good idea to wrap the meeting points with electric tape of some kind to be safe? and also by keeping exposed power supply lines away from eachother, you are referring to the red and black lines?

Last question promise haha, will be cramming over the weekend!

Yeah, you should cover the connections with tape so that they won't touch each other.
Yes, I was referring to the red/black lines. You can keep the insulation on the wires until the point that you want make the connection (where you will then strip the insulation off). You will get a better and longer-lasting connection if you solder them; don't expect twisting wires together to last through too much movement.

I am afraid I am not understanding you: "will have"? How do you know that? Is the OP/TS aware of the necessity of resistors?

Somewhere in a post "tape" is mentioned. Wouldn't such implementation (involving just a hundred of lasers diodes!!) be more professional?

"I wish I understood this stuff" he says. Cooking a scalp is maybe a possibility. But ruining the eyes of someone is the other.

Find this project somewhat frightening.

Tape you said?

I am afraid I am not understanding you: "will have"? How do you know that? Is the OP/TS aware of the necessity of resistors?
I have bought laser diode modules that look very similar to the ones listed (if not the same). They are rated for use on a 3V power supply and have a built-in resistor on the PCB that slots into the module heatsink.
Somewhere in a post "tape" is mentioned. Wouldn't such implementation (involving just a hundred of lasers diodes!!) be more professional?
That's up to the OP. I would be surprised if he has a soldering iron. Maybe twist-on wire connector caps would be better.

"I wish I understood this stuff" he says. Cooking a scalp is maybe a possibility. But ruining the eyes of someone is the other.

Find this project somewhat frightening.

Tape you said?
I have bought laser diode modules that look very similar to the ones listed (if not the same). They are rated for use on a 3V power supply and have a built-in resistor on the PCB that slots into the module heatsink.

That's up to the OP. I would be surprised if he has a soldering iron. Maybe twist-on wire connector caps would be better.

As i have mentioned I am new to all this, i will not be just experminenting today/tomorrow on all this, i read a little bit about these diodes and from my reading understood they are the best/cost efficient ones that would help with hair growth/circulation (i understand that i would have to take out the lense in it to make the light disperse?)

I am stilling in the very early stages of this project, which is why i came here... to make sure i know what i am doing before i damage my eyes or scalp.

I will also have access to soldering iron so if that is better to keep the connections together i will go for that (again once i have learnt more)

PS i am drunk atm

This entire project sounds like 21st century "quack medicine". No offense meant to the OP.

This entire project sounds like 21st century "quack medicine". No offense meant to the OP.
fair enough, i currently use a red light machine on my scalp at a salon, ever since using it, i have had better scalp conditions and also slight regrowth and thickening (actual hair counts were checked aswell)

I have to travel a bit to use this, so the main projects purpose is to supplement to this regime already, i have spoken to the people at the salon abotu the brand, i looked into it, found out what kind of diodes they use and purchased the above ones... granted these are probably a cheap version, but it is an experiment anyway + i have read many forums about people making their own brushes and stands with these type of leds, so i am confident they are safe (obviously not on the eyes)

sounds alot like a shaggy dog story to me :D, dont start moaning when you look like cousin IT

The simplest way is to connect the diodes in strings of four. The four series diodes will need a 12V power supply to run. You can connect as many strings across your power supply as your supply can handle; for the 40mA diodes on the eBay listing, 25 strings = 1 Amp, so you'd probably just get a 12V/1.5A or higher current switch mode supply

25 strings of 4 per string is 100 LEDs. If each LED draws 40mA , that's 4 amps, not 1 amp!

25 strings of 4 per string is 100 LEDs. If each LED draws 40mA , that's 4 amps, not 1 amp!
No.

Look at post #6 for the configuration of each string, i.e. 4 series-connected diode assemblies. If each diode assembly draws 40mA, then each string draws 40mA. 25x 40mA is 1A

Hi guys,

I purchased this laser diodes (650nm) and am waiting for them to arrive atm.

I want to create a standing laser growth machine for hair (simply a stand so the lasers can point down onto the scalp)

The thing is i am an absolute rookie when it comes to setting up the 100-120 diodes with a power supply and switch so i can turn it on and off.

Can someone please give me a comprehensive guide that a noob could understand, i will send $$ to the easiest to understand (probs around $10)

These are the diodes i purchased;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252337464290?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks guys!
Hi H,
Are you fully aware about the dangers of laser diodes? Be careful, or you won't be able to find your scissors:)
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back