Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Peltier heater controled by pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sparky I can appreciate your enthusiasm with this. However, being sort of new to all of this there is more to heat than toasting bread. Now I don't know your final objective, maybe in melting lead to cast bullets I caught a few too many fumes? :)

I think you really need to read up on all of this a little. When anything is designed to do anything (profound statement) considerable effort is placed into things like sensors and control for heating applications. Everything from hot plates to small ovens to large furnaces running at 2,000 degrees F. requires considerable planning and design thought. This is especially true when you decide to splitting degrees into .1 degree increments from a control point of view. I think what you need to do is well define your project, not to this forum but to yourself. Then study a little on your objective. Yes, it is a time consuming affair to do that but less that, not much will happen. I am not trying to dissuade you, rather encourage you to think this through. Block diagrams are a good start but need things filled in.

Ron

Thank you for your understanding.
The purpouse of this circuit is different to melting metals. It's about proving or disproving a theory I read some time ago.
It's not for melting, but for something related with metals and temperature.

I'm waiting to receive the things I bought, so in a couple of weeks I will have all the things here (or maybe almost all).
So I will be building something, making some tests and in the practise we will see what will really happens.

With Peltiers you must remember if you cannot remove the cold that is generated then the hot side will stop making further heat and vice versa.

To get a effective heating and cooling range from a plate you need to have as bigger differance of thermal change on the oppersite side as possiable.

Pete.

With Peltiers you must remember if you cannot remove the cold that is generated then the hot side will stop making further heat and vice versa.

To get a effective heating and cooling range from a plate you need to have as bigger differance of thermal change on the oppersite side as possiable.

Pete.

I didn't knew that think, I knew that peltier plate produce heat in one side and cold in the other side, but no idea about if I don't remove the cold, then I canno heat enought. Thanks.

I hope this isn't another one of Sparky_s's free energy experiments...

No, that it was only a year ago. :)

So, a good solution could be to get an USB cup warmer and use a DC source instead the usb connection to heat the metals? The usb warmer is designed to run at 2.5 watts and the liquid can be heated to around 50 or 60 º C. If I use that device using 10 or 20 Watts, can I destroy the internal resistances? or maybe it will work?

Last edited:
So, a good solution could be to get an USB cup warmer and use a DC source instead the usb connection to heat the metals? The usb warmer is designed to run at 2.5 watts and the liquid can be heated to around 50 or 60 º C. If I use that device using 10 or 20 Watts, can I destroy the internal resistances? or maybe it will work?
Why do you think you need 10 or 20 watts? A USB cup warmer gets a lot hotter than 43C.

So what is the point of putting lead in a comfy bath for hours?

Just only curiosity and some free time to be used in something interesting.

Why do you think you need 10 or 20 watts? A USB cup warmer gets a lot hotter than 43C.

2.5 Watt is enought to heat a metal around 43C?? I thought I had to use more power. But it was only a thought, without searching before about the power requirements

Last edited:
Just only curiosity and some free time to be used in something interesting.

2.5 Watt is enought to heat a metal around 43C?? I thought I had to use more power. But it was only a thought, without searching before about the power requirements
I guess that depends on how big your piece of lead is. With enough insulation and enough time, you could do it with a milliwatt.
BTW, if you think I (we?) believe your reason for doing this, think again.:D

Last edited:
Is that a picture of Sparky Einstein?

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the fine print.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on how big your piece of lead is. With enough insulation and enough time, you could do it with a milliwatt.
BTW, if you think I (we?) believe your reason for doing this, think again.:D

The piece of metal is around 5 grams, so it's little. I will try it with the usb warmer.

It's more family friendly than the Jean Luc Picard version :)

Would you think that uncle Albert will be surprised by some of the shenanigangs? ;)

Sparkey

If in reality this just happens to involve building a vaporizer (of sorts) there have been a few recent threads on the subject. Also, just on the off chance I am right you will need more heat. :)

Ron

The piece of metal is around 5 grams, so it's little. I will try it with the usb warmer.
I can save you a lot of time and effort. After you heat lead at 43.2C for any length of time, it will still be a solid chunk of lead. After a loooonnng time, it might have oxidized a little more, if in the presence of oxygen.

So why are you really wanting to do this?

The quest for overunity continues. There are forums that cater to folly, Free Energy is one. They also will help you part with any spare cash you have.

You or anyone else will never find overunity here on this planet, might be possible when you're beyond the event horizon of a black hole someday but you wont enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back