Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Digital Ammeter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavoNess

Ok using an ADC is no problem but how do I go about measuring a current between 0 to 50amps with a 0.1A scale ?

Im sure no shunt resistors can take that kind of current so what other options are available to be able to do this ?

Thanks in advance !

High Current Measurements

If you are measuring AC then you could consider a Current Transformer - take care as the secondary winding of these things can kick out amazing voltages if open-circuited.

For DC I know of no alternative to shunts - if you have a car battery tested at a garage they will use a gizmo with a huge shunt to measure short-circuit ability. It looks like an inch-wide, two foot long strip of steel for the shunt.

Could you use a hall-effect transistor strapped onto the side of a conductor and infer amps from magnetic field?

Hmm yea it is DC and the other trouble is not only measuring 50A but also with a resolution of like a 0.1A step size.

Im actuall measuring the current coming out of a 500W computer PSU on the 12V, and 5V lines

I mentioned in another post about Hall effect devices. You could use one of these to measure DC current, but being a non-contact device, I'm not certain about it's accuracy.

It is possible to buy Hall effect tong ammeters, which will read both AC and DC.

EDIT: Sorry mechie - I didn't see that you already mentioned it :)

I have used Tong type ammeters with hall-effect sensors giving accuracy of 0.01A. Cool 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back