Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building A Chess Timer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonroy

Hello, my name is Matt, I am new to this forum. Anyways I have been looking around for a bit on more information on a good way to build a chess timer but haven't found much. So I thought I would see if anyone could give me some advice, or if anyone actually does know where to get some schematics.

Basically what I want this device to do is have 2 displays, 1 for each player. Each display has 2 digits wide for the minuets, 2 digits wide for the seconds, and if possible 1 or 2 digits for mileseconds.

There would be 2 push buttons for each side, 1 of the push buttons is used to cycle through how many minuets you want to start with (for example set it to 5, 10, or 20 minuets) Then the other switch is actually the switch you use to signify your move. Last there is 1 switch in the center of the decive which starts and resets the game.

So for example each player can set the amount of time they need, push the start button and then its ready to go. So player 2 for exampe would hit his button which would start decreasing time on player 1, player 1 makes his move, presses his button, and now his clock stops and player 2's clock starts decreasing time, etc. until one person runs out of time it would be cool for a LED to light up or something. Or also if the main button is pressed then it stops/resets the clocks.

This was just the idea I had, it could deffinetly be dumbed down if anyone had any ideas. I was originally going to use a basic stamp II for this project as this is extremely easy to accomplish using that device, though I would like to be able to make this with using electrical components, for example on a prototype board or something. Also I don't know if its the best solution to use a bunch of 7 segment decoders or what. If I was going to use the basic stamp for example I would use a serial LCD display.

But yeah would like to hear any ideas or advice that you guys have, thanks!

google for chess timer circuit. there are several non-microcontroller plans out there. it's a fair number of components to build it that way and not very flexible.

this is one where the learning curve for using a micro will be offset by the simplicity and flexibility of a micro based design. with a micro, you can easily add features like an led indicating which side is running. up/down buttons for presetting the time. expiration warnings (1, 2, 5 mins or what ever). you can drive 7segment LEDs fairly easily.

Thanks for the reply! I have been looking on google for a while and wasn't able to find anything like you mentioned...

For some projects the code is readily available or you can purchase pre-programmed devices from the author. That's the case for many of the projects published for my amateur radio hobby and I'd expect it to be similar for other area of interest. That might allow you to use this approach then add to it in the future.

Mahonroy said:
Thanks for the reply! I have been looking on google for a while and wasn't able to find anything like you mentioned...

I suggest you use a Stamp II, or a normal PIC, it would be much more complicated, and limited, to do it with hardware.

For one of my 'famous' analogies?:

"I want to move an ocean going yacht from the sea to an inland lake, I don't want to use a truck, that's far too modern. I want to use log rollers, hundreds of slaves, and overseers with whips - can you advise me how to do that for less than the cost of hiring a truck?"

the 4 th hit on (chess timer circuit) was **broken link removed** there were several others farther down.

google (chess clock circuit) wasn't quite as good.

by the way, don't use a 555 as the time base it's not very accurate. get a watch crystal (32768 hz) with a 74hc4060 plus a 4 bit counter. (take the q12 output into the counter, output of the counter is 1 hz)

microchip's website has many free code examples as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back