Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukekemp34

I have been set a a project to make a calculator that will add, subtract, multiply, divide and it must have a 8 digit display. I am very stuck and was wondering if anyone could help with diagrams or websites etc. your help would be much appreicated! cheers

lukekemp34 said:
I have been set a a project to make a calculator that will add, subtract, multiply, divide and it must have a 8 digit display. I am very stuck and was wondering if anyone could help with diagrams or websites etc. your help would be much appreicated! cheers

You need a micro-controller or micro-processor, expect to spend, most probably, considerably more than the most expensive calculator you can find! - and to spend many days (or weeks?) writing the software.

You didn't state any additional requirements but this sounds like a school project. As already stated, a calculator, at least as we think of them today, is quite complex. Now, one might design and build something that will do the calcs but in more crude fashion. As I recall, before digital computers there we analog computers. Didn't they use simpler principles to add, subtract, multiply, divide, etc? You might explore something like this but for the output use a digital voltmeter for the output. If allowed, LEDs could indicate binary - though your description "digital" suggests decimal numerals.

As a simple begining you could 'add' by taking three 1.5 volt cells and put them in series to get the sum - 4.5 volts. To subtract you might reverse one - 3 volts minus 1.5 volts is 1.5 volts. An analog amp with a gain of 5 would serve to multiply the voltage - it will divide if it's less than one.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

If this is a project assigned to you are there any details on how to go about it? (for example you MUST use 74-logic or ...?).
If you are free in your design then i agree with Nigel, get a µC.
A PIC or AVR would be best choices because there's lots of info & free programmer software available (though i'm biased towards the pic :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back