Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buckpucks in series on mains power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer: NO

To function in series, their current draw must be EXACTLY the same. This is impossible, not just because their loads might be different, but also because as a switching power supply its input current decreases as input voltage increases. (Their V/I curve looks like a negative resistance within their operating range.)

Second problem: Isolation between input and output isn't specified. This could place higher standoff potentials on the pucks that are nearer to the mains hot side. I'm guessing that if you wanted your LEDs to float at 240V you would hook them directly to the mains.

This is my opinion only; check with the factory. They might have a product that meets your needs.

bummer,

sorry but i hate it when my theories don't work out.

just to clarify though, you weren't referencing the current vs voltage sheet in the link i posted were you? as this is related ti the optional dimming circuit that can be used with a potentiometer or similar.

thanks for the post though. definitely no way to do it???

How many LEDs are you trying to drive?

There are plenty of off-the-shelf drivers that will run right off the mains. And they are alot cheaper than those buck-pucks.

just to clarify though, you weren't referencing the current vs voltage sheet in the link i posted were you?
Nope. Buck converters just work like that.

For a constant power out, they take a relatively constant power in. So if their input voltage increases, they actually use less current. Just the opposite of a normal resistor (hence the term 'negative resistance') They would go crazy in series with one another.

jr7126 - i'm looking to drive cree xp-g LED's at 1amp, 6-7 in series per buckpuck, up to 10 buckpucks.

that was the plan anyway...

mneary - that kinda sucks actually, so it wouldn't matter if it was ac or dc, it would be the same... crap.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back