Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Browser Wars!!!!

What do you use as your main browser?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • FireFox

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Chrome

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Opera

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Konqueror

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Firefox (with Ad-Block & NoScript) for all my normal browsing.

For things like Facebook (gasp!) and Hotmail I use IE.

Used Opera for a bit but then upgraded to Firefox :)

Never tried Chrome, don't like Google tracking every page I visit.

Never tried Chrome, don't like Google tracking every page I visit.

You can turn that off. The settings are very user-friendly and easy to change.

I am the 1 that uses IE just to lazy to switch.
My wife is now using FireFox and said its "OK"

Last edited:
I am the 1 that uses IE just to lazy to switch.
My wife is now using FireFox and said its "OK"

I absolutely can't stand IE, personally. It has always given me problems. It is very cluttered, does not have a user-friendly setup, is extremely slow, has useless add-ons, and overall I just don't like it :p:D

If it works for you, you're one of the lucky few. I'm happy for you :D You should definitely try Chrome though ;)

Here are some official stats. This is from the last six months of visitors to ETO:

Code:
1.	 Firefox				36.92%	
2.	 Internet Explorer			28.28%
3.	 Chrome					25.28%
4.	 Safari					4.07%
5.	 Opera					3.65%
6.	 Opera Mini				0.50%
7.	 Android Browser			0.48%
8.	 Mozilla Compatible Agent		0.33%
9.	 IE with Chrome Frame			0.10%
10.	 SeaMonkey				0.08%

I would only be in that stat because, I'm using Safari or Firefox most of the time because, before I got a Mac at home I was totally Firefox last yr. Now mostly Safari. I personally haven't experienced Google Chrome because I tend to have an aversion to browser's not recommended by my IT guy's or other's I come into contact with at work. I think most people are in someway's similar to me.

Geez, it took me forever just to move from Windows 98 and then from XP and then Windows 7. Ya, that's right I still use PC sometimes, I can't program or do certain things because PC still has the market share on software.

But, when it comes to Surfing it's Safari or Firefox.

Edit: DerStrom8 time for me to check it out.

Last edited:
I would only be in that stat because, I'm using Safari or Firefox most of the time because, before I got a Mac at home I was totally Firefox last yr. Now mostly Safari. I personally haven't experienced Google Chrome because I tend to have an aversion to browser's not recommended by my IT guy's or other's I come into contact with at work. I think most people are in someway's similar to me.

Geez, it took me forever just to move from Windows 98 and then from XP and then Windows 7. Ya, that's right I still use PC sometimes, I can't program or do certain things because PC still has the market share on software.

But, when it comes to Surfing it's Safari or Firefox.

KV!!! Good to see you!

I never had luck with Safari, but that was probably because I was using a cr@ppy Mac on a cr@ppy network. I didn't mind the overall setup of it--just never worked well for me :|

Then again, using Safari would mean using a Mac, and that's a whole 'nother debate :D

Good to see you too!

Here at home it's the best because they go to Facebook and such. I don't have the bother of re-formatting every six months haha. I'm running a little Mac mini, cheap and fun to use. $600 get's you out of the box surfing or such. My work provides the software everything I have is PC I can't afford new software, which I think in someway's keeps people from buying them.

I don't know it's just like I said, I hate to re-formatt and reload my PC.

Last edited:
Here are some official stats. This is from the last six months of visitors to ETO:

Code:
1.	 Firefox				36.92%	
3.	 Chrome					25.28%
4.	 Safari					4.07%
5.	 Opera					3.65%
6.	 Opera Mini				0.50%
10.	 SeaMonkey				0.08%

LOL I like how 'nobody uses IE' though ;)

I wouldn't admit to it, either.

Last edited:
I switched from IE to Chrome a few months ago. Mainly because a few sites started refusing to load unless I upgraded to IE9. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) IE9 isn't available for XP!!!

Mike.

IE9.....don't you mean chrome rip off 9...... Its rubbish..... When microsoft installed it (without asking) I had to roll back to IE8.... No sites would let you in... My sons is at Uni amd he couldn't log on, as IE9 wouldn't let him... FAR to security conscious......

IE9.....don't you mean chrome rip off 9...... Its rubbish..... When microsoft installed it (without asking) I had to roll back to IE8.... No sites would let you in... My sons is at Uni amd he couldn't log on, as IE9 wouldn't let him... FAR to security conscious......

A friend of mine was having that exact same problem. Whenever he tried using the internet it would come up with all sorts of warnings and wouldn't let him do a thing. I ended up going through and shutting off all the security on the browser just to get it to work, but of course that made it a little less safe to use. It really wasn't well thought-out, IMHO.

Last edited:
I still can not get some of the plug ins to work.
Many times I get a plain white box with a small icon in the upper left corner.
I dont even know if it is a video are what!

Code:
1.	 Firefox				36.92%	
3.	 Chrome					25.28%
4.	 Safari					4.07%
5.	 Opera					3.65%
6.	 Opera Mini				0.50%
10.	 SeaMonkey				0.08%

I believe what EM has posted are the stats from the server. Every time I visit ETO the server hosting ETO takes little notes. Then it logs the notes. It notes for example where I am visiting from as to my IP address. The server also looks at the browser I am using. The latter being very useful as to site design. When a server knows what browser you are using it can better tailor the content just for you, is that nice or what? :)

While the poll for example reflects 3.45% using MSIE the reality is 28.28% of the visitors over the last 6 months have visited using MSIE. So while the poll is amusing with the voting it really does not actually represent browser by visitor, only those who voted.

Also, as to the actual install of MSIE 9.0:

Automatic Updates Delivery Process

The automatic delivery process will notify users that an update is available and allow users to choose whether to install Internet Explorer 9.

Automatic Updates will only offer Internet Explorer 9 to users with local administrator accounts. Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when Internet Explorer 9 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus continue their currently installed version of Internet Explorer.

After clicking on the Automatic Updates notification balloon, users will see a welcome screen summarizing key features of Internet Explorer 9 and presenting three options: Install, Don’t Install, and Ask Me Later.

If a user selects Install, installation of Internet Explorer 9 will not override a user's default browser choice and will transfer the user's previous homepage, favorites, search settings and compatible toolbars. When the user launches Internet Explorer 9, a first-run experience will be offered highlighting new features and changes.
If a user selects Don't Install, the notification process will not re-prompt the user to install at a later time; however, any user who is a local administrator will be able to install Internet Explorer 9 at any time as an optional update from the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites or from the Microsoft Download Center.
If a user selects Ask Me Later, the install process will not proceed and Automatic Updates will start notifying the user that an update is available using the same process (notification balloon and welcome screen) according to the local Automatic Updates settings.

Internet Explorer 9 will replace Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 on a user's machine. However, users may roll back to Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 by uninstalling Internet Explorer 9. Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 can uninstall through the Windows Control Panel Programs and Features utility under the View installed updates option.

Note: If a user has installed Internet Explorer 9 and subsequently removes it, Automatic Updates will re-offer Internet Explorer 9 to that machine using the process above in order to bring it up to date. In this case, a user need only select the "don't install" option at the welcome screen. Internet Explorer 9 will no longer be presented by Automatic Updates.

I have never seen a case where MSIE 9.0 just decided to download and install on its own. It has always prompted and somebody needs to say yes, exactly as outlined above.

For those who may be curious as to how a browser is identified by a server here is a small example of things:

Using Firefox:
Hello visitor from IP 76.190.138.209
Your browser identified itself as Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1.

Using MSIE 9.0:
Hello visitor from IP 76.190.138.209
Your browser identified itself as Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/5.0).

Anyway, at home while I use MSIE on occasion the primary browser for myself and Kathy is Firefox, while at work it is mixed between MSIE and Firefox leaning strong Firefox. Personally either works fine for my needs.

Ron

My vote goes to Firefox its the user friendly browser that doesnot give much problems as in case of I.E, Firefox has many extensions that make it more easy to use. Just install the extensions which you need and surf with comfort. :)

My vote goes to Firefox its the user friendly browser that doesnot give much problems as in case of I.E, Firefox has many extensions that make it more easy to use. Just install the extensions which you need and surf with comfort. :)

Replace "Firefox" everywhere in that sentence with "Chrome", and you have my experience ;)

I use Firefox and just love to use it. It has many add- ons which make it easier and simple to work on it , I would also vote for Firefox and recommend others to use the browser once and get the experience working on it,, I hate IE, as it does not provide good speed and makes me to wait for a long time to respond on a query I put in.:)

I use Firefox and just love to use it. It has many add- ons which make it easier and simple to work on it , I would also vote for Firefox and recommend others to use the browser once and get the experience working on it,, I hate IE, as it does not provide good speed and makes me to wait for a long time to respond on a query I put in.:)

See post #36 ;)

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Chrome? Or have you only tried IE and Firefox and are only comparing those two?

Killivolt, I have been running the same install of XP on my desktop since building it in 2008/09. Still runs fine, XP is great with a bit of care :). Still use it daily for development work as its less hassle for the things I do (I dual boot to ubuntu and run Win 7 on my laptop).

Never got the re-format re-install complaints with XP, I could just be lucky though :). My old PC ran the same install from 2005 (built 2001 with 98 originally) until it's hardware failure a few months ago.

I run firefox, with ad block plus and no script - the latter being ONLY available to FF. Last time I checked Chrome did not have an API for blocking certain elements of a page like NoScipt and FF does - I hope they have got this sorted now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back