Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshot21771

I have been working on a power supply for an older pc we use for work, there were some bad caps replaced those and blown fuse. After doing that plugged it in and pow the fuse blew right away. Could a bad bridge rectifier cause this and how do you test it? Also what other things should I look for that could be causing the fuse to blow? Thanks.

Tried a last resort troubleshooting method posted here elsewhere, found a bad diode that I guess was Bad or shorted and replaced it with another from old power supply I had lying around. Didn't have the proper fuse so I could check the power supply so improvised and the power supply powered up the pc ad no sparks or smoke so hopefully when I put in the proper 4amp slow blow all will be good. Dumb question but can a shorted diode blow fuses? or did I just get lucky?

If the it shorts to ground yes it can! Don't forget that a short is like a 0 ohm resistor!

BTW : Hi i'm "new" and this was my first post!

Last edited:
Check your rectifier bridge with an ohmmeter. A near-zero reading on one diode at both polarities spells the end of the bridge, for safety's sake. Is your chosen bridge rectifier rated in excess of the current drawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back