Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Brenner8 usb programmer using "pic18f4550" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

amenoera

hi all,

i will build the brenner8 programmer but befor build it i need to know somthing , i dont have pic18f2550 and i search all electronics store here but
cant find it , so can i use pic18f4550 instead of pic18f2550 ?
offcourse i will assign the right pins to the new pic18f4550 ,like ra1>>ra1
rb2>>rb2 etc . .
and anyone here have any problem with it ? i only will program "pic184550" .

thanks ,regards .

Yes the 18F4550 will work, and don't build the brenner8. Instead build a PICkit2 clone (nearly the same amount of parts and a far far better programmer and debugger with MPLAB support etc, etc...)
You can use the 18F4550 in a PICkit2 clone too, I did.
**broken link removed**
Prototype PICkit2 compatible using a 18F4550

thanks very much ,

you are genius , but sorry i have 3 questions ?

1 : where can i find this schematic as the picture "Prototype PICkit2

compatible using a 18F4550" .

2 : the firmware for pic18f4550 .

3 : the software and driver for the programmer .

* can you give me the link for it .because i search your site but without

success for this schematic .

and again thanks thanks soo much .

regards .

It's in the Junebug manual, just build the top part above the green line in the schematic.
You can omit the 2N7000 and the BS250 (jumper the D & S) if you want to keep it simple.

The firmware is part of MPLAB and documented in the manual. You also need MPLAB 8.01 and the PICkit2 software are both supported.

Attachments

• Junebug Assembly Instructions.pdf
    915.9 KB · Views: 1,966
yes i found the firmware called "PK2V021000.hex" , and offcourse i will burn it to the blank pic18f4550 . and all is done , or i have to change anything in the firmware ? . thanks

regards for you genius bill .

amenoera said:
yes i found the firmware called "PK2V021000.hex" , and offcourse i will burn it to the blank pic18f4550 . and all is done , or i have to change anything in the firmware ? . thanks

regards for you genius bill .

Nope it'll work as is. It'll even automatically update in MPLAB. Nice programmer you'll like it I'm sure. You even get a free UART tester! (USB to serial TTL) under the tools menu in the PICkit2 software. Of couse the debugger alone is great.

sorry but i dont understand what you mean by "it will mean update automatically" , what i mean is when i burn this to pic18f4550 will work ?

thanks again .

Yes burn that firmware onto the 18F4550, MPLAB 8.01 has even newer firmware and it will update the PIC just fine to PK2V020200.hex (it's part of your MPLAB install)
Your PICkit2 compatible will automatically update itself, even if you burned version 1.1 of the firmware on it. (actually 1.1 can recalibrate 12F675 PICs a feature that has been dropped in V2)

Thanks Very Much Bill.

I Think Now Its Time To Build It . Soon I Will Post My Result .

Thanks Alot For Your Help .

dear bill am now building it but . . . can i replace bs250p with 2nxxxx or bcxxx

i found 2n7000 but cant find bs250p .

thanks .

Just skip them, the BS250p can supply 230ma both are used only for VPP before VDD and is only needed in some situations.
So for now just place a jumper across the DS250 D,S When you can get a BS250 then solder one in.

hii again ,

its runing , but mmmm ,

my device "pic18f4550" not detect , it say "pickit 2 vpp voltage level error .
check target & retry operation" .

but note i change the 2n3906 by bc557 and the coil with another one " i dont know its value but its like the capacitor in size "
so what can i do now ?
any idea

Well that's the problem. 470uH thru 680uH should work, but the coil is important. The BC557 should be fine. The VPP cap can be 22uF thru 47uF.
A too small inductor won't work.

amenoera said:
hii again ,

its runing , but mmmm ,

my device "pic18f4550" not detect , it say "pickit 2 vpp voltage level error .
check target & retry operation" .

but note i change the 2n3906 by bc557 and the coil with another one " i dont know its value but its like the capacitor in size "
so what can i do now ?
any idea
Please ensure the pinout of the transistor BC557 , as it's collector and emitter are reverse.please check this aspect.

amenoera said:
thanks very much ,

you are genius , but sorry i have 3 questions ?

1 : where can i find this schematic as the picture "Prototype PICkit2

compatible using a 18F4550" .

2 : the firmware for pic18f4550 .

3 : the software and driver for the programmer .

* can you give me the link for it .because i search your site but without

success for this schematic .

and again thanks thanks soo much .

regards .
18F4550 has a 18F2550 compatible mode, so it is doable.
For more PICKit2 assembly and trouble-shooting during the DIY process, you can reference my site as:
Hardware CB0703(enhanced PICkit 2):
**broken link removed**
Step by step assembly guide for PICkit2 DIYer :
**broken link removed**
FAQ: Q3-Q6:
**broken link removed**

whats is your ideas ?

i build that in the picture , but i omit the icd pins "i dont use it" am using the other vpp gnd pgd pgc u5v at the buttom , and omit the "con3" ,and bs250 .

can this work normally ? or not ? and plz any solution for this coil .

regards .

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 651
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back