Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Break out of loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Steveo

Help
I am trying to write some basic code for a 12f629.
What im trying to do is have the micro check for a input on a pin.
If there is no input for 15 min are so then trigger a short output on another pin.
My problum is that while it is in the 15 min. delay it will not check for a input untill it finishes the loop.

Any suggestions? I tried the "WHILE" and "Else" commands

Im using Proton Plus

Thanks

Steve

I dunno BASIC but you might need to change the logic of your program...
What do you mean with "input on a pin"? A change in level or a short pulse like from a button? If your uC supports interrupts you should set one up to be triggered when there is "input on a pin", then add a global var input = 0 and when the interrupt is triggered you set input = 1
Then you change your loop to periodically check for input = 1,... like this:

Code:
BYTE input = 0

sub input_interrupt
  input = 1
endsub

sub main
  SHORT counter = 0
  while true do
    if input = 1 then
       counter = input = 0 ; reset counter
    endif
    counter = counter + 1
    if counter = 15*60
      .. there was no input for about 15 * 60 seconds...
      counter = 0  ; reset counter
    endif
    delay_1s
  done
endsub

HTH,
blight

Thanks for the fast reply. You poeple are great.

I guess that code is in "C".
Does anyone know how I would do it in Basic?
As I need to keep my day job, and tring to learn another Programming lang. when I'm still thing to figure out Basic. "C" Is not an option. ( I have only a few years left to live (30 are so)).
They will have a voice programable "Megamicrochip" before I figure out all the Basic commands.

Thanks
Steveo

15 minutes?
that is long

set up timer, can choose any timer u like, the best is timer1, because it has 16 bit register
choose the largest pre scaler

make some calculation on the time the overflow occur, and goes into interrupt subroutine
However, the interrupt frequency is definitely far less than 15 minutes
so, u assign an long integer, say i. You increment i everytime interrupt occur. I guess the time is still not long enough
You declare another long integer j, j increment everytime i overflow, that is, back to 0.
If the time still not enough, then declare another long int, keep doing it until u get 15 minutes

However, if you microcontroller's function is just checking the input, and has nothing else to do, then u can just put a delay, lets say 1 second.
make a while loop that check the pin after every second, and do the for loop for 15*60 times. If there is input, then come out from the while loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back