Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boy arrested for making digital clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG: I get two size miniature baggies. something like 1" x 3" and 3" x 2.5. I use them for prescriptions, change, little electronic parts, little parts in general. But it's also considered "drug paraphernalia". I also have a postal scale. So, it depends on "context". Not being able to obtain "glassware" seems a bit much. I had trouble obtaining a large Nalgene container. Why? Now that company has been absorbed by a company that sells only to businesses. I had a "way around that" until recently. I could use his account number and ship to a location near me and pick up and pay. Usually, I'd let him place the order.
They happened to be absorbed into the one my friend had an account with. He also liked that I placed orders there because he didn't use the account much. I lost "access" to a lathe too and some other stuff now that the business is sold. I miss 24/7 access to a machine shop where I used to work.

I agree about the STEM teacher and the media but that person has talked to the police and the police dropped all charges on the kid.

I honestly don't know who talked to the police, but I'm sure until the bomb squad verified that it was "just a clock", the teenager was detained and questioned.

I still believe the STEM teacher should have been able to squelch this whole incident.

I think California is much the same way. California is the only state that, I think, really bothers about ROHS. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive#North_America under North America.

My state has adopted "single stream" household recycling. e.g. "clean" paper, glass, metal, cardboard can go into the same container.

Free "shredding" is provided a few times a year at drop off points.

"Household hazardous" waste also has to be dropped off. Pesticides, some paint, "not latex".

"e-waste" has a particular drop off point and collection times.

Batteries, oil cardboard, "single stream" can be dropped off anytime at unmanned drop off points.

"yard waste" can usually be collected for $1.00 USD a bag with your waste hauler with limits
It can also be taken to to a manned or un-manned collection site with nearly "hidden cameras". I caught someone with my cell camera who dumped a whole bunch of "construction waste". My pic and time combined with their pic (leaving and entering) got him easily nailed.

I read about recycling in Australia and they are "really serious". They randomly take household garbage containers and scour through them to make sure that you recycled what your supposed to.

I honestly don't know who talked to the police, but I'm sure until the bomb squad verified that it was "just a clock", the teenager was detained and questioned.

I still believe the STEM teacher should have been able to squelch this whole incident.

I've no problem with that if it was the offical policy for a 'bomb' threat at a school. Yes, the teacher should have and my own conspiracy theory on that is the teacher is a young female teacher that a 14yo boy was trying to impress.

Explaining Texas is like explaining sex, you can't really do it, you have to experience it so I won't even try.
Sex is dead easy to explain, 15 minuets of a fun activity followed by a not so fun loss of shed time/and or space for 6 months :(

:oops:or so Ive been told:stop:

On one of the chemistry forums I use its common to hear about lab busts on home chemists, they have a detailed list of what should be done like keeping a detailed lab book etc. Really scary some of the stories about going to court because there were certain common lab reagents found, and yet I still cant get my head around being able to walk into a shop and walk out with a high powered riffle.

On one of the chemistry forums I use its common to hear about lab busts on home chemists, they have a detailed list of what should be done like keeping a detailed lab book etc. Really scary some of the stories about going to court because there were certain common lab reagents found, and yet I still cant get my head around being able to walk into a shop and walk out with a high powered riffle.

People in states like Texas don't look at guns as special, it's just another tool like a hammer. It's so deep in the culture that if you don't have a gun you're looked on as weird and suspect.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQICkrOoy1g

I've no problem with that if it was the offical policy for a 'bomb' threat at a school. Yes, the teacher should have and my own conspiracy theory on that is the teacher is a young female teacher that a 14yo boy was trying to impress.

I saw a press conference today on youtube. It had the police chief and the school district PR person. She reminded everyone of the policy concerning suspicious packages and suspicious behavior is reporting them, and the school did what it did to protect all the children. The police chief reiterated the policy of detaining and handcuffing until it was determined it was not a bomb.

Mark Cuban's comments were interesting, and had a comment I've never heard before, about the sixth person to see the "clock" was the English teacher who told him to put it in his backpack, but, was uneasy about it. I'll speculate that her being new, she was being cautious and reported the "device".

You might be correct on who the 14 year old was really trying to impress.

I've read through most of this and most of the comments on AAC.

I think people 20-30 years ago would not suspect a suitcase bomb even if you were to show them. Now, you have television programs that show what a suitcase bomb looks like and how unsuspecting or harmless it is on the outside until you open it or scan it for it's contents. High Tech weapons and types of devices today; I mean, who would have thought to put a bomb in a pressure cooker?

Who would have thought to slam a plane into a building among all the other incidents that have occurred all around the world. It seems we just live between attacks and not much can be done. Especially, when they can hide devices like that or worse. Plus, the fact they are such fanatics about their beliefs that they go to their death serving those ideals.

On the other hand. Joe, would know better than me but, Texas as a boarder State is vulnerable to criminal elements that posses purchasing power, while law enforcement are out gunned and out numbered. It's my opinion they are at war. Average people feel the pressure of possible attacks on families and friends from these criminal types just over the boarder and it's not just white people who feel that way.

Average people with Average minds will react, I think you forget how many intelligent people are here on this forum compared to average guy down the street. Most of the average people can barely run their TV set, what else would you expect from them. To us it's obvious, but they have no idea.

kv

Much earlier in this thread Joe Jester said:
And where was that "teacher" who made the recommendation of not showing it?

My view on this is that the subtext to the recommendation of "not showing it" is:

"Do not show that thing around and embarrass yourself, it is a pile of junk"

JimB

I think people 20-30 years ago would not suspect a suitcase bomb even if you were to show them. Now, you have television programs that show what a suitcase bomb looks like and how unsuspecting or harmless it is on the outside until you open it or scan it for it's contents. High Tech weapons and types of devices today; I mean, who would have thought to put a bomb in a pressure cooker?
kv

Pressure cooker bombs are old hat in the third world, America just saw what's been happening in other parts of the world for the last 30 years in Boston. I could do a rant about TV programs and tech, but I won't.

On the other hand. Joe, would know better than me but, Texas as a boarder State is vulnerable to criminal elements that posses purchasing power, while law enforcement are out gunned and out numbered. It's my opinion they are at war. Average people feel the pressure of possible attacks on families and friends from these criminal types just over the boarder and it's not just white people who feel that way.
kv
Ten most violent states:
10-Arkansas
9- Florida
8- Maryland
7- Delaware
6- So. Carolina
5- Louisiana
4- Tennessee
3- Nevada
2 - New Mexico
1- Alaska

Must be the Canadians.....:D

Another opinion on the "clock".

Anyone know when he's visiting the White house? Anyone think the "clock" will get past the TSA at the airport?

Another opinion on the "clock".

Anyone know when he's visiting the White house? Anyone think the "clock" will get past the TSA at the airport?

My prime theory is still:
Poor young Ahmed had the hots for a pretty young English teacher who as looking for something else in that 'box'.;)

Breaking News: What was inside the last box the kid made.

There are still quite a few unanswered questions so I think I'll just wait and see. Apparently wait and see reflects more common sense than the White House has applied. Initially my thinking was stupid school and I supported the kid. After seeing much more information and pictures I am not as quick to support this kid. I guess time will tell.

Ron

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back