Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bought an IMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbe

and now I can't anymore do the degree symbol by hitting ALT + 0176.

How can I do, on my IMac, all the special symbols that worked with the ALT key on my Windows computer?
They were called alt codes or hotkeys.

Thanks.

Hi, I haven't used my Mac for ages, but for most apps, choose Edit > Special Characters. I think you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the ones you want.

I don't use many special characters but I guess it depends which program you are using.

If you are in the finder look under the edit drop down menu for special characters (last item there).
In TextEdit this menu is in the same location and there is a short cut, a hot key combination, to bring this up.
You can store your most frequently used ones, out of the gazillion available, into your personal list so they are easier/faster to find.

Uwe

°C
Well, you're right. It's under Punctuation(?)
Thanks, folks.

It is just going to take some getting use to... I like OSX myself. :)

Which iMac did you get?

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I guess I finally have the cut-and-paste down pat. :p

Status