boosting the car's 12VDC to 24 or 48 VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

u know ur stuff huh..

u know ur stuff huh..

I've played around with, experimented with and done the mad scientist aproach to alternative energy since I was in my early teens (20+ years now)

I've read about countless alternator modifications on the internet over the years and have actualy tried many of them too. The ones I have tried and that did actualy work are what I tell others about. Still there are limits to the actual practicality of these modifications! They do work but are often best suited to specific application uses.

for experimentaion purposes taking a cheap and well used device and modifying it for a specific application is often way cheaper than buying a new unit and hoping you dont accidently kill it the first time you try using it in that modified condition.
Once the sacrificial devices prove its a vaiable design consept then spending money on a new device to do the job become more justifiable.

Buying used alternators from the truck or auto salvage or scrap yards for $10- $20 each and killing several of them in the name of research does not hurt the pocket book so much as buying a brand new $500 unit and watching it die and not having any waranty coverage because you opened it up and modified it!

I do a fair amount of my work specificaly around larger construction equipment and have had many chances to work on, repair, and replace larger than normal alternators. But I dont know all there is to know by any means.

Had I not been in the right place at the right time I may very well could have never found out any of this information relating to the larger application alternators!
I got lucky and fixed one once for a friend and it sort of just snowballed from there.

I just know what I have done and found reasonable to do and work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…