Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boosting rf range

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Hi guys
i was reading in the forum here on boosting rf range for rc cars,and one of the options was to increase transmiters voltage,i have already changed all the antenna's on both reciever and transmitter,cant give a range on it now as i have not been able to test it fully ,but was wanting to get a detailed info on how to go about actully increasing the voltage on the transmitter,im not sure what all info is needed from me if any,im pretty sure its a 27mhz transmitter.if any more info is need i will gladly add it ...Thanks...

changing the antenna's length will not do anything. in fact, if you change the length of the antenna, you will only impede the signal, even if you make it longer :lol:

as for upping the supply voltage, if your transmitter is designed for a certain voltage, giving it more probably wouldnt be a very good idea.

u could always build your own remote control

I'd recommend that you become familiar with the rules/regulations for your area and work within those restrictions. Unless you are skilled in this area any modifications could cause you to exceed permitted power/range or disrupt other licensed services either on those frequencies or outside of the band.

The equipment and antenna, if part of a manufactured package, are matched to each other (most likely anyway). It would seem that the manufacturer has already optimized the performance. That's not to say that improvements can't be made but you'd have to match the new antenna to the transmitter - something that is a challenge for a beginner. You might hit on something with random experimentation or you might not.

Any circuit changes, including voltage increases, might cause the transmitter to fail, or worse, cause unpredictable performance including out of band transmissions.

Thanks guys for the info im was thinking of maybejust using the gut from an old air plane ,im not sure if thats illeagal or not i wouldnt think i would be as long as its in the proper ranges ,any idea's ? thanks

RT said:
Thanks guys for the info im was thinking of maybejust using the gut from an old air plane ,im not sure if thats illeagal or not i wouldnt think i would be as long as its in the proper ranges ,any idea's ? thanks

I'm not sure of the regs in the USA, but in the UK planes use a different exclusive band - using a plane radio system would be seriously frowned upon - for obvious safety reasons!.

A standard car RC system should work plenty far enough, so far that you can't see which way the car is pointing!. I presume you're talking about a 'proper' radio control car?, and not just a cheap toy?.

Yea im not sure, im probly getting way ahead of myself as i havent really tested the set up i got now as all the lakes are froze over right now ,so all try and figure out a way to test the range now and see how far it is.thanks for all the info ..i definityl dont want to have a illeagal boat. :D

If I am not mistaken, a portion of the US amateur band(s) is used for RC model control - by licensed individuals. Licensed amateurs may be allowed to run better antennas, more power, etc. Morse code requirements for licenses are not what they were in the past - the learning required for the written/technical portion of the exam might be well worth the effort anyway. Take a look on ARRL websites for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back