Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boosting current in a lm317t with a darlington transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
20v down to 5v was just an example, but you've given some very good info here. Is it possible to create a variable voltage switched power supply?

First, the power transistor has ~ the same voltage across it as the 317, except that it has 4A flowing through it, so (20-5)*4 = 60W.

If your heat sink's thermal resistance is 3.5 degC/W, then with 75W, the temperature of the heat sink would be 25degC (ambient temperature) + 3.5*75 = 25 + 262degC = 287degC, which is way, way too hot.

The max temperature you want at the heatsink is ~85degC (still hot enough to burn your hand). Starting from a 25degC ambient, that would mean that the temperature rise of your sink above ambient would have to be 85-25 = 60degC. Since you are dissipating 75W, the thermal resistance of the sink would be 60degC/75W or 0.8degC/W, which you will find will require like 4000cm². Are you convinced that this is dead end, yet?

This is not the way you should be doing this! To get 5V * 5A = 25W to the load, you are dissipating 60+15=75W in the regulator. This is where you should be using a buck switch-mode regulator. Alternatively, start with a different transformer so that the unregulated voltage is much closer to 5V.

I find it pretty amusing how many diagrams are posted on the net, saying 35->1.2v 3A (or whatever) variable voltage power supply , without them actually knowing how much frigging heat you need to dissipate if you actually supply like 1.2v.

You're loosing WATTS / INPUT_VOLTAGE amps on the input side right? 60w / 24v is like 2A you are just literally pumping into thin air?

This is very strange.This is the 2de complain. looks like i can only open it while i'm log on to the forum. I'm still new to this forum so how do i report it. Do i just send a PM to the moderator?

This is very strange.This is the 2de complain. looks like i can only open it while i'm log on to the forum. I'm still new to this forum so how do i report it. Do i just send a PM to the moderator?

it says my side to pm the mod if it doesn't work, so yea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back