Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost converter gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't the 555 need a high voltage spike protection came from the inductor?
no
What spike? I don't see a way for the high voltage to get back to the 555.
There needs to be a power supply cap on the 555. Some of the problems might come from the supply voltage changing because there is no cap.

So, I broke out the bread board and assembled the circuit. Added a cap at the source and a 50 ohm resistor to the gate. At first it didn't work so I tried different inductors. I hooked up a huge transformer on the primary and it worked.....for a few times and I'm back to square one.

OK, so I made some progress:

Realized that I had some poor connections at the 555 killing the pulse to the MOSFET. The timer is now working fine.

Once I got it all hooked up I used an IRF740 MOSFET as the switch. I made an adjustment to the schematic and added a variable resistor at both R1 and R2 to play with the duty cycle. I had to use a pretty heavy duty toroid inductor I made to get any decent charge build up. This baffles me as I have seen other circuits use smaller inductors with better efficiency. One circuit design I found used a small 200 uH coil to achieve 300 volts. The timer is remains cool but the MOSFET gets hot. Also, if the coil is big enough, I get a huge voltage spike according to my voltmeter as it will read something like 1700 volts but when I kill the circuit the cap array is only at 120.

So, to remedy the hot MOSFET, I upgraded to an IRFP450 but it does switch on. I thought it was bad then tried another one but nada. The circuit works with the IRF740 though I can't find an adequate duty cycle that charges to 300 volts in a stable manner. I have compared my circuit to other designs and I can't see what is wrong. According to other circuits I have found online, this should be working yet isn't.

I'm at a loss here as I calculated that I need a 95% duty cycle for a small inductor and from there I got the resistor values. Yet, they didn't work and especially with the recommended MOSFET (IRFP740).

Can you correct your diagram as I believe C1=0.001pf is incorrect as you can't buy capacitors that small. What frequency do you think you're working at?

Mike.

As an after thought, why use such a high and dangerous voltage? A bank of three 20,000μF capacitors charged to 24V will still give you 17 Joules. Plus, you could buy a boost converter off of ebay for about $1 that will do everything you need. Something like **broken link removed** with a current limiting resistor (12Ω) will achieve what you require and be a lot safer. You can adjust the power level with the variable voltage and it will recharge in around 1 second.

Mike.

So I can't use 24 volts as this needs to be portable. Carrying around a bank of super capacitors is a nightmare. The issue with buying premade ones is that they would have to be retrofitted into a housing. I rather build it custom to a size that way I can have total control of the system and also know what to fix if it is faulty.

I'm aiming for 20kHz with a duty cycle of approximately 95% according to the math I did. The minimum inductor value is about 800 uH so my 2 mH inductor should be sufficient.

I'm still having a tough time figuring out why one MOSFET works but the other doesn't. Both have a minimum gate voltage of 2 volts according to the data sheet yet the power mosfet doesn't wont to switch on. The IRF740 does so without a problem.

Last edited:
diver that chipset looks rather interesting. Basically an all in one set up. I would have to tweak it to get higher voltage but should be doable.

I just tried to run a calc on the 555's timing components, you list .001pF for the timing cap, this cant be right, even if its 0.001uF that woudl still produce an o/p freq of 500khz, which is way too high.
2mH sounds very high for a smps of this kind.
Whats your intended frequency of operation?
2mH will only pull a very low current at typical smps operating frequencies.
Heres a good site to gain some knowledge on switchers, and theres a high voltage regulated supply example, changing R4 on fig3 ought to do it, a 1000v fet might also be a good idea.
https://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html

Last edited:
As an after thought, why use such a high and dangerous voltage? A bank of three 20,000μF capacitors charged to 24V will still give you 17 Joules.

So I can't use 24 volts as this needs to be portable. Carrying around a bank of super capacitors is a nightmare.

I really don't think you understood Pommie 's comment ... no one is talking about supercaps

and you still haven't commented on the incorrect capacitor value

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back