Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bonehead Eagle Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tswan

I used Eagle a few years ago for a small project and have started trying to use it again. I was just wondering how people handle connections to external parts. I'm working on a board now that will have a power switch and a few pots that will be located on the front panel of the project. I was just wondering what most people place in their schematics to represent these parts that will not be physically located on the board.

I can imagine dealing with this in a few different ways, but I just wondered how others handle this.

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Search the library (i.e. type or click 'add') for 'conn*' to search for connectors. I mostly use the Pinhead connectors which for some reason don't show up for me when I search on 'conn*' though; I have to search for 'pinhd*' to bring them up.

You'll probably find something in there that you can use--it's a long list. :)

Good luck,

Torben

Hi,

also welcome to the forum.

I use two methods to connect external elements on a board layout.

1. As described by Torben.

2. If there is no space available for connectors (e.g. box headers), or the entire design should be cheap to make I use solder pads of different diameters and drill sizes. They also have the advantage to put connections anywhere on the PCB for easiest routing.

I have attached the zipped pads.lbr. There are three different kinds of pads: visible with a white (layer21) square frame around for easy location, visible without frame, might also be used for wire jumps (wire jumps have the advantage that ripping up a trace the connection won't get lost.) and invisible pins (with a package), also used for wire jumps in order not to spoil the overall view of the schematic. which are invisble on the schematic, unless you select 'display pins'. They will be visible on the PCB layout at any time and can be connected like a device.

Boncuk

Attachments

• PADS.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back