Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Board Mountable Video Isolation Transformer / Coupled Inductor / Balun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey0727

Hello All

I am looking for a PCB mountable signal transformer / Balun / Coupled inductor. 1:1, that operates over a wide frequency band of around 20 Hz to 6 MHz

The purpose of the transformer is composite video Ground Isolation isolation.

Does anyone know where I might find such a part? I am having a duprisingly difficcult time locating one.

Thanks -
Mike

Hello All

I am looking for a PCB mountable signal transformer / Balun / Coupled inductor. 1:1, that operates over a wide frequency band of around 20 Hz to 6 MHz

The purpose of the transformer is composite video Ground Isolation isolation.

Does anyone know where I might find such a part? I am having a duprisingly difficcult time locating one.

Nothing surprising about it, which is why you use video opto-isolators and not transformers.

Thank You Nigel,

I realize I could use an optocoupler, such as:

The HCNW4562 analog optocouplers provide wide bandwidth isolation. Avago Technologies is a leading supplier of analog optocouplers, logic interface optocouplers and IPM interface optocouplers.

But that will add complexity to my system. It will require me to add an isolated 5V source to power the input side of the circuit, which I do not want to do.

I know such transformers exist, as I purchaed a part:

**broken link removed**

and cracked it open. As I suspected, its a transformer and a Cap, which is why it requires no external power -

I know this type of transformer exists somewhere, I just cant seem to find it. If you could offer any help in that direction, it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Michael

Thank You Nigel,

I realize I could use an optocoupler, such as:

The HCNW4562 analog optocouplers provide wide bandwidth isolation. Avago Technologies is a leading supplier of analog optocouplers, logic interface optocouplers and IPM interface optocouplers.

But that will add complexity to my system. It will require me to add an isolated 5V source to power the input side of the circuit, which I do not want to do.

I know such transformers exist, as I purchaed a part:

**broken link removed**

and cracked it open. As I suspected, its a transformer and a Cap, which is why it requires no external power -

I know this type of transformer exists somewhere, I just cant seem to find it. If you could offer any help in that direction, it would be most appreciated

Why not just buy the one in the link you've posted?.

I've never seen them for sale anywhere, and (due to the high cost of such a transformer) TV's which have required video isolation have used opto-couplers. I'm also a bit dubious about the quality of a transformer, I can't see as it's got a very flat frequency response?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back