Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Board Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythefool

Hi all, Hope you have nice weather too :)

I need to improve the layout of a PCB for transient immunity. Most of my inputs to my 16F887 comprise of a transzorb to 0v, 330R in series with the input, a 0.1 uf to 0v, and a 4K7 pullup. My intention was to put the transzorb as close to the connector as poss, the 0.1uF as close to the PIC as poss, the pullup next to it, and the 330Rseries resistor between them.
Is this the best way?? (Approx 4cm between connector and PIC

Thank you for any advice

Jim

You'll need to include some more info, for both normal operating conditions and for expected fault/transient conditions such as signal rise/fall time/frequency/source impedance, signal type (analog/digital) etc.

Ty for the replies..
Basically, I have 8 inputs on my pic, going to the external world. (Volt Free Contacts)For EMC, they will test the screened cables going to them. 1KV surge, 8KV ESD, and EFT, capacitive clamp I believe.

Regards
Jim

ty for the reply :)

I don't really want to post my schematic on here. I was looking more for a 'rule of thumb. ie 'always placing the decoupling cap close to the IC, rather than close to the connector' etc

Thanks

Jim

My rules of thumb:

* cap close to the connector to shunt any spikes to ground
* transorb close to conenctor
* resistor & inductor/ferrite-bead to pic input to reduce residual spike
* traces enter pad of cap/transorb from one side and exit from the other to minimise inductance to the protection device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back