Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

blower from hair dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewrfc

hi guys ,
I want to take the blower from an old hair dryer(i could just take the whole dryer but i dont want the heating element) . Basically i took the dryer case off and played , i then plugged it in with the heating element still on and blew the fuse . I then decided to take the heating element off but i dont know how to wire it without the heating element . Can anyone give me an idea of how to rewire it . The wire colours are brown , white , black and red .

cheers

You may have trouble with that, many hair dryers run the heating element in series with the heating coil, if yours was like that you can't run it off mains power again without the heating element.

...i took the dryer case off and played , i then plugged it in with the heating element still on and blew the fuse ....

Please don't play with AC circuits, unless you fully understand what you are doing. Lower voltage/current DC circuits are quite safe for anything other than the components if something goes wrong, but AC mains power can be lethal.

You don't have be leaning over the 'project' for something to go wrong:
Imagine the blower motor you have just pulled from the hair-dryer sat running on the bench, minus the series-wired heating element. Is the motor now running differently from how it was designed? What if the motor bearings suddenly siezed and the torque reaction from the sudden stop made it jump into your lap?

It may not happen...but then again.

Be safe. ;)

Connect the motor to a 12V 2A transformer and a rectifier, it should by fine, I've done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back