Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BJT operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you refer to it as Rc as the book does? Then there won't be any confusion.

Ratch

Okay. Anyway, the book uses capitalized subscripts for DC values. When you wrote "Rc", you used lower case "c" subscript. For example, the book says, Vc=Ic*RC where both "Vc" and "Ic" are AC values while "RC or R_C" a DC value.

Okay. Anyway, the book uses capitalized subscripts for DC values. When you wrote "Rc", you used lower case "c" subscript. For example, the book says, Vc=Ic*RC where both "Vc" and "Ic" are AC values while "RC or R_C" a DC value.
I don't know how to do subscripts in this forum''s text. Anyway, do you understand now how those equations were derived?

Ratch

Re: post #18, https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/bjt-operation.155724/post-1342003

I don't think that the book is correct. The output is inverted therefore there should be a minus sign to show that inversion for the amplification. As the voltage across transistor drops/rises, there is an equivalent rise/drop, respectively, in voltage across R_C. Hence, Vc=-(Ic*Rc).

Also, I do believe that it should have been "Vin" instead "Vs".
Everything looks OK to me in the book. Perhaps someone else can explain to you what it means.

Ratch

Thank you!

I think I do understand the equations. In Question #2, you have Vin=Vs+V_BB. Actually Vs is riding on top of DC supply V_BB.

Question #1:
bjt_amp_11-jpg.115847

As the input signal, Vin, increases, so does Vb , and Vc is an inverted output. Av=-Vc/Vb=-(Ie*R_C)/(Ie*r'_e)

Thanks.

Attachments

• bjt_amp_11.jpg
    bjt_amp_11.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 203
Hi again,

I thought that I should confirm this with you. From our previous discussion, it was said and concluded that both voltmeters, ckt_bjt111, would read the same, right? Thanks!

Attachments

• ckt_bjt111.jpg
    ckt_bjt111.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 185
Hi again,

I thought that I should confirm this with you. From our previous discussion, it was said and concluded that both voltmeters, ckt_bjt111, would read the same, right? Thanks!
The sum of the voltages across the transistor and Rc equals Vcc. Therefore, if the voltage is large across the transistor, it is small across Rc and vice-versa. That makes the amplitude of the voltages unequal.

Ratch

Thank you!
Please have a look on this attachment, bjt_amp1a.

Question 1:
Shouldn't it be Vc = - (Ic*R_C)?

Question 2:
Shouldn't it be Vin instead of Vs?

Question 1: Nope. It's a positive voltage. Think of the voltage divider rule, with the transistor acting like the lower resistor.

Question 2: No because the book is talking about Vbe, which is the voltage drop between the base and the emitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back