Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bit's and ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

I'm trying to get my head around how to send bit's out a 2 ports. I have 2 ports RB0 and RB1 then RC0 to RC7
Code:
#define BIT8 0x01
#define BIT7 0x02
#define BIT8 0x04
#define BIT7 0x08
#define BIT6 0x10
#define BIT5 0x20
#define BIT4 0x40
#define BIT3 0x80
#define BIT2 0x100
#define BIT1 0x200
char bits[10] = {BIT1, BIT2, BIT3, BIT4, BIT5, BIT6, BIT7, BIT8, BIT9, BIT10};
// how would I use this here to set it to say 1023

Hi Burt! Trying to understand what you need???

So a 10 bit number... If I get you correctly... It's the same really as the ADC result... Two bits in low and 8 bits in high.

portc = (unsigned char) (1023 >> 2);
portb = (unsigned char)1023 % 2;

This puts bit 0 and 1 on portb and the rest on portc..

Yep that's it I was playing with the Bit array thing but your Idea looks better thanks

Thanks Ian I'm starting to see the light here
Code:
 while (1)
    {
      uint16_t convertedValue;

ADCC_DisableContinuousConversion();

convertedValue = ADCC_GetSingleConversion(channel_ANA0);   // Add your application code
    __delay_ms(100); // 1 Second Delay
    LATC = (unsigned char) (convertedValue >> 2);

LATB = (unsigned char)convertedValue % 2;
    }
}
/**
 End of File
*/

It looks like you may have already solved the issue, but there is a more efficient way to split a 16-bit value over two ports. Just by using a bit of clever C memory management.

By using a struct inside a union, you can read/write a 16-bit value as a whole. But you can also read/write the exact same value as if it is split into two separate 8-bit integers.
It should look something a little like this...

Code:
union {
  uint16_t value;
  struct {
    uint8_t lsb;
    uint8_t msb;
  };
} convertedValue;

int main(void) {

convertedValue.value = ADCC_GetSingleConversion(channel_ANA0); //Lets say convertedValue.value == 0xBEEF

LATC = convertedValue.msb; // this value would be 0xBE
  LATB = convertedValue.lsb;  // and this value would be 0xEF
}

The beauty about this method is that you can extend the union and access each bit individually if you wanted.

I seen some samples of using union I'm learning xc8 getting better slowly but thanks you both really helped

Hi Burt! Trying to understand what you need???

So a 10 bit number... If I get you correctly... It's the same really as the ADC result... Two bits in low and 8 bits in high.

portc = (unsigned char) (1023 >> 2);
portb = (unsigned char)1023 % 2;

This puts bit 0 and 1 on portb and the rest on portc..
shouldn't that have been; portb = (unsigned char)1023 % 4 or portb = (unsigned char)1023 & 3 ?

Be80be, x = y & 3, or in binary, x = y & 0b00000011 is an AND operation, normally called a bit mask in this case. Essentially if x is one of your ports, the maximum you're going to see on the port is pins 1 and 2 turned on.

I agree with mike.. Bitmasking a port with & 2 would allow only pin 2 on the port to flash (0b00000010)

I was looking at it and im not getting the full 1023 of the adc im one bit off
don't think it was showing the full 10 bits

Personally I think the shift routines mentioned are wrong. The confusion comes from having an 11bit number stored in a 16 bit variable.

The standard 16bit to 8bit split is:
Code:
LATC = (uint8_t) data >> 8;
LATB= (uint8_t) data & 0xFF;
For example, in 16bit binary you get data as:
0b0000 0101 0110 1111

Latc would be shifted to:
0b0000 0000 0000 0101

Latb would be masked off to:
0b0000 0000 0110 1111

Which looks like the correct way to me...

The is only 10 bit I'm using PORTC 0 to 7 for the first 8 bit's and PORTB 0 to 1 for the last 2
I'd need to mask off 2 to 7 on PORTB I don't no much about this stuff But I'm learning.

shouldn't that have been; portb = (unsigned char)1023 % 4 or portb = (unsigned char)1023 & 3 ?
Yep!!
Again I'm putting out untested code... But!! It was nearly 11pm and it did show Burt another way!! The Union is the other way, but Danny!! You do not need the embedded struct... A simple union will suffice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back