Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bit off a noob, ambitious project

Status
Not open for further replies.

freckle101

its me all over :D

i am starting a project, its an electric air gun. don't ask why i just have bit of an urge lol

what i want is a LCD display to show data that is fed back from the rifle

ie, i can put a chronoscope at the end of the muzzle and velocity shows up on the screen, i would also like the voltage the gun is receiving

how would i go about this?

i did read the FAQ but it did not make much sense, i think the only thing on the links about it will display a constant message rather than changing like i would like it to

thanks very much

ste

Do you have a chronoscope that you want to use or do you want to make one? With 2 LEDs and 2 phototransistors, you can measure the time between two events (each PT seeing a beam break). Knowing the distance between the two PTs will allow you to compute the average velocity between those two points.

To display the data on an LCD, you will need to interface it to a microcontroller which is responsible for formatting up the speed information and sending it to the LCD. There are hundreds of web sites that tell you how to do that. Look for 44780 (the ubuquitous character mode LCD controller) on google.

Voltage is pretty easy you need a microcontroller with an ADC. You will probably need to know the voltage range and then divide it down to something that the ADC can handle (<5V).

thanks for your input

thats basically what i was going to do with the chronograph

its just i was lost on linking it to a lcd

thanks i will look into the 44780 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back