Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Binary clock (to be finished 4 real)!

• Thread starter Robot builder 101
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robot builder 101

This is a project that I am ACTUALLY! going to start and finish. I found a thread already, and it looks like I can substitute the timing module with a 555 at 1 hz. The stuff used for the 1hz (actually 1.000000000000001 hz) is 10k resistor, 100k resistor, and a 10uf cap. It looks kind of easy to connect, but I may need some help.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/binary-clock.98/?highlight=binary+clock

sorry for the long I-net (did apple use this one already? inet?) adress.

Robot builder 101 said:
This is a project that I am ACTUALLY! going to start and finish. I found a thread already, and it looks like I can substitute the timing module with a 555 at 1 hz. The stuff used for the 1hz (actually 1.000000000000001 hz) is 10k resistor, 100k resistor, and a 10uf cap. It looks kind of easy to connect, but I may need some help.

Bear in mind a 555 based clock will keep absolutely pathetic time!.

If you use a advanced CMOS timer, like the 7555 (It is a cmos and low voltage right?) and good filter caps, you may be able to pull it off.

1000 said:
If you use a advanced CMOS timer, like the 7555 (It is a cmos and low voltage right?) and good filter caps, you may be able to pull it off.

Still be utterly crap! :p

Use a 32KHz crystal (watch crystal) and a divider!.

Here's one I'm planning on doing sometime soon (but 5 volts and probably a 16F628A)...

**broken link removed**

I am going to order the parts that i need. The only question I have is: can I substitute CMOS (HC series) for TTL (LS)? The LS series has low output, but just to be safe i want to give it morepower.

If you can find the parts as cmos, you can use it! I read that you like jameco, and jameco doesnt supply the 74LS90/93/86/279 as HC. Good luck

This is how you can achieve a stable 1Hz clock using only one IC and no programmable components.
1-hz-png.10810

Would a 20mhz crystal work or would I have to use the watch crystal. I am builidng one too and I just ordered the parts.

Krumlink said:
Would a 20mhz crystal work or would I have to use the watch crystal. I am builidng one too and I just ordered the parts.

A 20MHz crystal doesn't divide down nicely to 1Hz, the 4.xMHz one above does, and so do the (so called) 32KHz watch crystals - and these are also better time keepers than the higher ones, as they are specifically intended for clock use.

Wow Moore's law even applies to atomic clocks.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back