Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Big capacitor kit available??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge 125

Hi all!! Is there a capacitor kit that has big caps out there? I have a cap kit but small values like the one in the pic. I would like to find a kit with big caps (to repair PS) instead of ordering single units from DigiKey. THANKS!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.23.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.23.19 AM.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 100
I don't believe so, as it would be too expensive - and you'd waste most of the values anyway.

As PSU's commonly use somewhat unusual values, it's simpler to order the values you need.

It's also absolutely essential that you order high quality ones (I tend to use Panasonic), and low-ESR ones are a good idea if available. The reason the caps failed in the first place is because they are poor quality, no point fitting ones that might be even worse.

What does "big" mean to you ?
Is it a 10F / 2.5V capacitor or a 0.1uF / 2000V capacitor; a 4 inch diametre capacitor; all or none ?

Hi all!! Is there a capacitor kit that has big caps out there? I have a cap kit but small values like the one in the pic. I would like to find a kit with big caps (to repair PS) instead of ordering single units from DigiKey. THANKS!!!

The problem with looking for a kit of caps, you can end up with 25 caps that are 1000uF. The physical size of a cap can change quite a bit (height and diameter combinations) to fit the existing board and then you have voltage limits and ESR and...

I don't believe so, as it would be too expensive - and you'd waste most of the values anyway.

As PSU's commonly use somewhat unusual values, it's simpler to order the values you need.

It's also absolutely essential that you order high quality ones (I tend to use Panasonic), and low-ESR ones are a good idea if available. The reason the caps failed in the first place is because they are poor quality, no point fitting ones that might be even worse.

Yes I do buy Panasonic myself, the reason why for a kit is that I will have them when I need them AND will save $8 of shipping every time that I need some so... Yes i know it's simpler to just order what I need (size, values etc...). The reason why I wanted a kit is that I started to repair/rebuild old retro computer and game consoles PS (just for fun and to learn in the same time) and even bought a second hand Fluke 12 to upgrade my old cheap meter. Ok so will buy as I need I just wanted to save on shipping.

THANKS!!!

Yes I do buy Panasonic myself, the reason why for a kit is that I will have them when I need them AND will save $8 of shipping every time that I need some so... Yes i know it's simpler to just order what I need (size, values etc...). The reason why I wanted a kit is that I started to repair/rebuild old retro computer and game consoles PS (just for fun and to learn in the same time) and even bought a second hand Fluke 12 to upgrade my old cheap meter. Ok so will buy as I need I just wanted to save on shipping.

THANKS!!!

Just make your own kit :D

Don't just order enough for the job.

Just make your own kit
when i used to repair Wyse-50 terminals (the ubiquitous "green-screen" terminal in the 1980s and 1990s), i "made" kits of caps just for that purpose. those little green monitors BAKED all the caps in them, and having a pre-made kit was much easier than rummaging through bins of caps. that's useful for something you repair in quantity, but for random power supplies, etc... it's best to order as needed for anything more than about $1 or $2 each. in some cases it might be wise to replace 85C caps with 105C caps to reduce the chance the new ones will dry out or fail again.

in some cases it might be wise to replace 85C caps with 105C caps to reduce the chance the new ones will dry out or fail again.

I wouldn't ever consider buying 85 degree caps, other than when they are the ONLY option (such as for high voltage caps - like 22uF 400V).

However, buying 105 degree isn't enough - it's essential to buy good quality ones - otherwise they WILL fail again. The main reason they fail in the first place is because the originals were crap quality.

For an example, the capacitors fitted in the original Sky HD box PSU's (made by Samsung) were (according to the manufacturers datasheet) only rated for about 9 months life at the temperature they ran at. Samung also fitted the same capacitors in many of their TV's, and continued to do so for a number of years, despite massive failures, including huge numbers while under warranty - they all specified at 105 degrees, but just crap quality.

it's essential to buy good quality ones - otherwise they WILL fail again.
that's very true.... i've seen receivers with panasonic or nichicon caps that were over 20 years old, still plugging away with a reasonably low ESR, especially the nichicons. i don't know if they're still around (as it turns out, yes they are: https://www.badcaps.net/index.php) but badcaps.net was a really good resource for telling good from bad, with a fairly up-to-date listing of both good and bad brands (or in some cases date codes) of caps, and warnings about counterfeits (what? somebody would counterfeit a lowly capacitor? when they're selling millions of them, yes they would).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back