Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better blank PCB manufacturer in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

I just went to a local shop today to buy a large blank presensitized PCB so I can cut it into smaller pieces and invent a bunch of circuits.

As soon as I got home and opened the package, I was dismayed that the board had no protective layer on it which I could peel off and there were no instructions. The last time I bought the same package, those things were present. The only difference between the two packages were the number stamped at the bottom of the package. What's worse is the store doesn't offer refunds.

So now that I lost $30, I cannot trust MGchemicals anymore since they changed their board style to type "E" according to kinsten.co.

I'm considering ordering from kinsten.co since they have even larger boards than what MGchemicals has as well as the type "WA" board which means board with protective coating which I need.

But before I take such an expensive route of ordering from china and paying high dollar for delivery, does anyone know where I can get a presensitized PCB with a protective coating put on it in Ontario Canada? I'm preferably interested in one NOT made by MGchemicals because I think they are being deceiving now with their creations. I even checked their website, and they don't mention if their boards are type "WA" or type "E".

For reference, the image below is an example of what I need. The white is the protective material.

**broken link removed**

However, the packaging I got was this instead, except the front of the package was grey, not yellow with writing:

**broken link removed**

Why don't you make the board PROPERLY by using a Chinese PCB manufacturer? The boards have an overlay, PTH, solder mask, and pre-tinned. I stopped making my own CRAPPY PC boards over 40 years ago and have never looked back. I have pride in what I do.
For $30 I can get 10 boards 10cm x 10cm and then another 10 boards 10cm x 10cm. Double-sided and finished to perfection.

There is Seeed and a couple of others that are offering 10cm x 10cm double sided through hole plating for $5.00 qty of 10.
Max.

"There is Seeed and Elecrow a couple of others that are offering 10cm x 10cm double sided through hole plating for $5.00 qty of 10. " That's what I am referring to, plus $8 to $10 for delivery.
It is absolutely pointless making your own boards.

I will hire someone to do my boards later because I'm doing multiple of the same circuit but I want to create the first copy myself to make sure everything works electrically then the remaining copies I'll order. Plus when I get large boards that actually have the protective layer, I can have multiple chances at making the same circuit a success without constantly running to the store or running online. It's like pizza. If I want a slice from the box, its there.

You fail to say whether you want a positive or negative acting resist.

I have been using boards made by Injectorall and sold through DigiKey for more than 20 years. They have worked perfectly and failures are very rare, if ever. They are positive resist and have never had a "protective coating" on them. They are shipped in sealed, black plastic envelopes. Why do you feel the need to add an extra step to the process, namely peeling off the protective coating?

Unfortunately, I don't believe Injectorall is still sold by DigiKey, but it may sell directly.

The boards are presensitized positive.

I need the peelable coating because as I said, I like to make multiple circuits out of the same board. Last night I was lucky to get my circuit out of the unprotected-in-a-black-bag board however I had to put up with a few scrapes from the metal rulers because I use them to help me make a straight line when I cut the board with a utility knife. I don't make any cuts when there is nothing to guide me, otherwise I'd be cutting all over the place.

At least when the coating is on the board, I get two advantages. 1. I can cut board to size and I can also cut a portion out of what I already cut out. and 2. I can cut the board in any light source. A.k.a. I can see what I am cutting. and 3. I can easily put my artwork on the protective layer to help me confirm where to cut.

With this board I have now, the only way I pulled off an almost-satisfactory result was to use 4 bright-red LED lights as my light source and cut. That light source is dimmer than normal light even though the lights shined brightly. Also, when trying to position my artwork, I had to move the cutting guide (rulers) down the board, and this created small scrapes. I never had this scraping problem with the protective layer boards.

and Gromtag, The protective coating allows me to cut the board in normal light and allows me to measure my board to size by aligning the artwork on it without having any scrapes on the presensitized layer.

I leave my boards in the plastic bag and cut both board and bag at the same time with a guillotine-type tile cutter from Home Depot. Then re-seal the edge of the envelop with the piece I am not going to use right away with black tape. Has worked fine for years. No scratches. The smallest section I have made was a little over 1" square.

Sure, you have motive to not change, but the market will determine what you can get at a reasonable price. It might be a lot cheaper and just as good to change your methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back