Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best PCB Drawing Software for PIC Microcontrollers - Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use PCB drawing software to build prototypes of projects using PIC microcontrollers.

Initial designs will be very simple containing few components. - Working with a 16F819 currently.

- What do you use yourselves? Which packages can you recommend please?

(I understand that there's a "Circuit Simulation and Design Forum" elsewhere on this board, but I have posted here first because my question is specific to microcontrollers: if this is not appropriate, please inform me and I'll move it.)

Thanks in advance.

Analogue.

Hi,

There are a few such program suites out there - Proteus, Altium and Eagle probably being the most popular.

Proteus is perhaps better for the Pics as it can be used in conjuntion with Mplab.

The downside to Proteus and Altium is that they cost a lot to buy.

The basic version of Eagle Lite is free to download and use.

Eagle is free for the version that does small boards, I think 6 square inches or something like that, it has some pic microcontrollers in it's library and you can modify those, or often just use an existing one in your schematic with the same pin outs. And it's pretty easy to use. But I can't say if it is better than others because it's the only one I've used much.

I use Eagle, although I have proteus... Although the latest version of eagle seems to have issues with the DRC and clearance, it'll let u set values smaller than default but it won't use them.

I also use adobe illustrator to make the artwork for faceplates etc. Just export your eagle file as a 300dpi image ...pull it into illustrator and u can layer a faceplate on ,matching any leds/displays/switches etc that u have mounted on the PCB.

Laser etching or decal printers or silk screen ppl use illustrator ( or Coreldraw) files mainly.

Last edited:
There is also KiCad which is open source and free, it is somewhat siimilar to Eagle, but has some nice extras such as 3D visualization. Somewhat in between Proteus and Eagle.

Use Eagle its the easiest to use and customize. But its nothing compared to Altium. Built in 3D is awesome! (even tho you have to make some parts yourself) Also the price sux heh

i just checked out kicad.. its pretty cool.. considering that its free and open source it has a lot of potential :)

We do this thread once a month or so but it looks like the effort to make a sticky on the subject was a waste. If you guys want to rehash it every time I will remove it.

If you think it should be kept but is lacking speak up.

Last edited:
Im sure this would be better if newer PCB Design tools came out and then we had more options but 3v0 is correct. You also have to remember 3v0 that new people have more opinions so asking which is best will always change and is different from person to person.

KiCad also has 3D visualization and it's free as well.

Use Eagle its the easiest to use and customize. But its nothing compared to Altium. Built in 3D is awesome! (even tho you have to make some parts yourself) Also the price sux heh

Man, 3V0, you put work into that, and even pointed it out early in the thread, which is what all of the others could have done, and saved a bit of space...
:eek:
I can understand how it must feel; I wonder if people really read anymore? Sometimes we are hard to understand...

Regards,

We do this thread once a month or so but it looks like the effort to make a sticky on the subject was a waste. If you guys want to rehash it every time I will remove it.

If you think it should be kept but is lacking speak up.

Last edited:
Hey 3v0 i never really noticed that post. You are correct. People should read first. Didnt mean to try to over throw you heh. ... remember tho i can love eagle today and love kicad tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back