Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best overall smart phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertwill

Hi to all,

I would like to know what smart phone everyone is using, if using one, and/or what do you think is the best smart phone off right now. I am currently using the T-mobile MDA and I think its alright.

I am sure there are much better smart phones out there and thats why I wanted to see what others thought. The one complaint I have with the MDA is the processor speed grrr, could be quicker!

I just picked up the blackberry tour 9630 with verizon and its a 9.5 outta 10. My only disappointment is that they used micro instead of mini usb and the trackball isn't removable. I would have loved wifi too but oh well.

i used a htc tytn 200, with slideable keyboard, until the connection of i/o board and mainboard (?) became very flaky, rendering it useless. rough usage, my fault there.

now i have the nokia e71, like it, but its nothing for people with big fingers, but as far as i can tell it seems better for rough usage

They just released the Android, that looks pretty solid, and the OS is opesource. All in all it looks like a solid phone.

Last edited:
My son has an i-phone. Its speakerphone transmits horrinle noises. When I talk on my phone the i-phone sends me a loud echo of my voice. When my son talks it is way too loud and is extremely distorted.

My daughter has a blackberry that also sounds awful. It transmits muffled extreme distortion.

Their toy features are for little kids.

I think the IPhone was just recently crowned the worst mobile phone ever =P It's all the OTHER stuff the phone does that's important. Personally I think they need to isolate the phone features from the smart device features. Can you imagine how compact, lightweight and battery efficient they could make a cell phone with modern production methods if ALL that it did was place and receive phone calls on a basic information (name and number) display a small piezo beeper for the call alarm and a decent vibration motor is all that are needed.
We should be wearing phones by now. The single biggest component should be the battery (you still need a decent battery for peak/long term transmit power)

If the Android setlles into Verizon nicely I might get one of those but ONLY because it's opensource and you can write your own software for iti f you want. Problem is if you do that it probably voids your Verizon wireless contract, and they'll rape you for data charges. Personally I think a basic wireless phone and a mini laptop are a great combination. Even the lowest model cell phones will act as a wireless modem in a pinch.

All that being said I own an Alias 2. It's not a smart phone but it's as full featured as most cell phones come today. Plays MP3 and Video from 100 meg of onboard storage or up to a 16gig micro SD slot. The audio quality into a pair of in ear closed type headphones is phenomenal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back