Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner AVR Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alharad

Hey there dudes!

I'm getting started with AVRs and need to know what AVR programmer would be good to start out with. I was thinking of going with the AVR Dragon one. Is this a good one for a beginner, or maybe there's a better one?

Cheers! :D

Wow! This is....is incredible!!! :D

Do I need that target board to put on that plug from the programmer? So, what target board do I need?

Can I program it without that?

Cheers

Yeh, the AVRISP is not too exciting, but you'll have to excuse my bias ...:). Don't really care for the Dragon form factor. Surely, there are some Dragon exponents around.

Nearly all the arduino type boards are going to have the ICSP connector, or have pads to solder one on.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I'm going to do AVRs bare, not with arduino. So i can just connect to the AVR I want to program??

The AVRISP must be that target board? So I just do breadboard?

Cheers!

Right, you can over-write the arduino bootloader and use as bare chip. Only suggested the arduino because they are cheap and flexible with all their stacking boards. You did notice the bare bones kit can be plugged into a breadboard?

You can buy a breadboard adaptor from Sparkfun and solder some male pins to it. Or you can just make one from a chunk of double sided proto board. You then would have a setup **broken link removed**, and ready to program your AVR.

Hope that answered your question?

There is nothing that is ideal for a beginner, expect a learning curve that looks like a wall. the Dragon is cheap but the STK500 is still being sold in some places (Digikey still sells them) and they're very capable programmers. I've already given away the two AVRISP's that I bought, I don't recommend them unless you're on a serious budget. The additional cost of a Dragon/STK500 is well WELL worth the investment. I however have no experiance with the Dragon as the STK500 still meets my needs. My best guess at the moment is that the STK500 will still be supported for the next few years.

Last edited:
I just dabble with the AVR, more of PIC man myself.

People are shaped by their past experiences. I never could get my STK500 programmer to work from my laptop, added a USB hub still no dice, the prologic USB to serial cable worked in every other app I had tried, so gave up. Should have returned it, but oh well. I don't see how the STK500 RS232 interface is "the way to go". Except of course, when you brick the AVR device, because you set the OSC fuses wrong:eek:, then need the HVP programming to revive it.

Sorry nickel, but you have a specific issue which is not all encompassing.
My current PC does NOT have RS232 support. The USB to Rs232 adapter I picked up DID allow it to function.
The problem was not with the RS232 interface of the STK500, but with having a machine/usb device that supported a true RS232C interface.

You're assigning the programmer failure to a user and system failure of the controlling system. The programmer itseself functioned fine, your system failed to interface with it properly.

To the OP, use a USB programmer, regardless.

History has a way of repeating itself. AVR's, PIC's doesn't matter, neither are immune to RS232 port programmers working in a modern world. For instance, problems relating to the DIY JDM PIC programmer posts abound on the forum, works for some or most, others not. And yes it can be related to the user host device, and/or interface cable as you have mentioned. I would suggest to nip any frustration at the bud, by eliminating these variables.

Right, you can over-write the arduino bootloader and use as bare chip. Only suggested the arduino because they are cheap and flexible with all their stacking boards. You did notice the bare bones kit can be plugged into a breadboard?

You can buy a breadboard adaptor from Sparkfun and solder some male pins to it. Or you can just make one from a chunk of double sided proto board. You then would have a setup **broken link removed**, and ready to program your AVR.

Hope that answered your question?

Dude, this is awesome! I'm going to do the AVRISP mkll.

To the OP, use a USB programmer, regardless.

History has a way of repeating itself. AVR's, PIC's doesn't matter, neither are immune to RS232 port programmers working in a modern world. For instance, problems relating to the DIY JDM PIC programmer posts abound on the forum, works for some or most, others not. And yes it can be related to the user host device, and/or interface cable as you have mentioned. I would suggest to nip any frustration at the bud, by eliminating these variables.

I would want to do USB, definitiely not RS232!

I use an electronic sample programmer and in my opinion is good for beginner and most important is cheap (only lpt connector, 4 resistors and some cable) and not difficult in build. I use Bascom AVR

Last edited:
AVR Butterfly Kit

Recently, I was attended one Workshop in NIT,it was conducted by ATMEL Engineer's group.... On there I had work with AVR BUTTERFLY KIT... Now i wanna know more about that kit....please help me regarding this...

hi every body
i am beginner in AVR too. i have many questions about getting started.
1-at first which language is better. i mean which one is more powerful and flexible and surly easy to learn( not very complicated)?basic or C? is basic is powerful or not?i have heard it is easy bot not enough powerful. it is just for beginners not professionals. is it right?
2- I want to make my programmer by myself not buying one's.i prefer it be a USB one.dos any body knows such programmer?
3- are there any GOOD training board for free to build by myself?

Last edited:
If you're a beginner building your own programmer without knowing what you're doing is going to be nothing but added grief, simple programmers are very inexpensive and well worth the investment. Basic is a good language to start in, Swordfish basic is probably one of the more powerful one's out there but it's pay software. Basic would be a decent place to start as you can do many things with it, it will get you quick results, but at some point if you decide you want to develope anything serious you'll need to learn assembly and/or C

If you're a beginner building your own programmer without knowing what you're doing is going to be nothing but added grief, simple programmers are very inexpensive and well worth the investment. Basic is a good language to start in, Swordfish basic is probably one of the more powerful one's out there but it's pay software. Basic would be a decent place to start as you can do many things with it, it will get you quick results, but at some point if you decide you want to develope anything serious you'll need to learn assembly and/or C

very thanks!
are there any free training borad or such like this? sorry! as i am not living in Europe i dont know what are they called. i have heard some names like development board, training board ... and dont know what is the difference between them.what i mean is such kind of board that i can test many basic things like keypads blinking LEDs,LCDs or.....

AVRs

any help me?
i'm going to begin with AVRs controller. I really don't known how to begin. it is difficult for me.
any body help me. i should begin hown to program.
if you have documents about it you can send for me, please?
and this my mail: lvtrung1080890@gmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back