Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Before I get electrocuted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Before I get electrocuted I thought I'd better get some help. How can I use two triacs to control BOTH sides of a 220-volt line simultaneously? (60Hz-USA) I can't use just one because the load is referenced to neutral/ground on both sides. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 220-volt_load.gif
    220-volt_load.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 657
You need two triac (for each phase)

Attachments

• TRIACdriver2.GIF
    TRIACdriver2.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 637
Thanks, Sebi.
Question: Should a diac be used in the path of the phototransistor? Most data sheets I've seen require one. What does it actually do?

DIAC is a trigger device, useable in dimmer circuits. For on-off switching no need. Or You need a dual-dimmer?

Hi Sebi,
No dimmer, just on-off. Thanks for the help.

Hi Agent 009,

Triacs and diacs belong to a special group of semiconductors known as "thyristors". This link might answer your question better than I can:

**broken link removed**

Good luck!

ps-If you like AC projects, download all of Teccor's app notes! They're great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back