Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery & Voltage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eplix

Hi there, I have a question about batteries and voltage.

I recently bought one of these;

An 8V viewfinder....

**broken link removed**

I see that it is an 8v-0.76W EVF.

I'm trying to do something similar to this IR night Vision set up;

YouTube - How to See in The Dark!

I see in the video that kipkay wires the EVF directly to a 9v battery,
as mine is an 8V battery and I could not get info on what type of EVF he was using, I thought I should ask the experts.

Can I directly wire a 9V battery to my 8V-0.76W EVF?
Will that burn my EVF, will it decrease it's life span and if so, by how much?

If I cannot wire it directly, what do you recommend I do?

Many Thanks Friends.

The EBay listing says that it is 12V???

Do you have some tech info that specifies that it is 8V? If it draws 0.76W @ 8V, that is almost 1A, so a 9V battery won't power it very long (like a couple of minutes).

I don't want to sit through the YouTube video, but is this an application where you will be walking around with the view finder or in a fixed location where you can plug it into a wall?

If it is fixed, you can get an 8 volt power supply, problem solved.
If it is not, I'd be more inclined to run it off of 5 AAA batteries. You should get somewhere between 7.5 and 8 volts out of them fresh. The worst that can happen is your equipment is underpowered and won't work. Overpowering it is an unknown variable and without knowing the circuit design I wouldn't take the risk. Most likely, it would work, but you very well might overpower some components and eventually damage them from excessive heat.

Edit. Then of course, as Mike has done the math, if the current draw is too much you'll suck the battery "dry" pretty quick.

Last edited:
Buy the owner's manual on a manuals site. It will say what to power it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back