Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Voltage Drop Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadkillbunny

Hi,

I heard that the voltage drop-off point is when the battery stops suppliying battery. But when I did my experiment (9V battery connected to a resistor) and got under 4V what is the drop-off for enengizer the LED still lit. I also tried it when I was at around 1V.

One more question. When I disconnected the battery overnight, I found that the voltage increased. Can you point me please to a site that explains why this happens?

Cheers,
Karol Krizka

roadkillbunny said:
Hi,

I heard that the voltage drop-off point is when the battery stops suppliying battery. But when I did my experiment (9V battery connected to a resistor) and got under 4V what is the drop-off for enengizer the LED still lit. I also tried it when I was at around 1V.

The point where you decide the battery is flat varies on your application, alkaline and NICAD's drop off very suddenly at the end of their life.

I would probably consider a 9V battery flat at 7-8V, if it's feeding a 7805 regulator, 8V is probably where the 5V rail will start to drop.

You can view some discharge tests I did years ago at .

One more question. When I disconnected the battery overnight, I found that the voltage increased. Can you point me please to a site that explains why this happens?

I couldn't tell you the chemical reason why it happens, but if you leave a battery it will recover very slighty - for a remote control it may allow you to get one extra button press. But it is more a question of it's voltage recovering, rather than it's current providing capacity.[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back