Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery powered electric door strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast1125

I am designing a control unit for an electric door strike that runs off lithium ion coin cell batteries. Ill be using a PIC microcontroller, keypad, and a relay to strike the lock. Anyone have any suggestions on how to power the circuit using only coin-cell batteries?

I need 12 v and im guessing about 1A of current to strike the lock...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am not sure what coin cells I will use yet. It needs to be enough current and voltage to power the control circuitry and the lock strike.

The lock strikes are usually 12W to 15W, and if you have used one you know that you often have to keep it energised for a few seconds before the dumb human on the other side remembers to push the door open... :)

I tested the lock mechanism today and it will strike at voltage as low as 5.8 volts taking 220 mA of current. I think that is reachable with batteries. They don't have to constantly be feeding current, only for about 5 seconds (enough time to open the door and go inside)

Why do you want to use only coil batteries? They are ill suited to the task.

The reason is for a small form factor device. I dont want this box to be bigger than it absolutely has to. Are there other battery options to power it that will give me both small size and portability (ease of install) ?

I was programming the communications system at a bank head office while it was almost finished its construction when the power failed. The electric door locks all opened. Then the security manager said, "Now the robbers simply walk in, rob us and leave".
Poor planning.

I was programming the communications system at a bank head office while it was almost finished its construction when the power failed. The electric door locks all opened. Then the security manager said, "Now the robbers simply walk in, rob us and leave".
Poor planning.

That is a requirement of the building code, however more due to fire escape laws.

Even with electric strikes on, the majority of doors can still be opened easily from the outside without (or with the slightest) damage. But getting out in never a problem because ADA, Life Safety and building codes require single action panic escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back