Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Powered Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzz't

Heylo,

I'm looking to build a belt clock on the pager form.

The specs are pretty simple -- HH:MM:SS and DD:MM:YY, pretty simple.

The device will be battery powered with LED display like this: **broken link removed** I'll hafta attach an additional 2 digit display for the seconds, unless there is a 6 digit display about .28" tall going around. (Those 4 digit ones are the only ones I can find)

This can be done, heck if the **broken link removed**, then I can do it. I'm thinking that I might have to use a cellphone battery if power supply is a problem. It'll have to be opened to adjust anything (to make it as water resistant as possible). An aluminum case (probably anodized to a cool dark blue) with a TIG welded belt loop, and we'll figure out how to program the microcontroller so that the date is displayed every 15 seconds for a duration of 2 seconds.

Now, how do I rig up the electronic circuit? What microcontroller with real time clock circuit (crystal)? I see many like this, but they're all AC powered. I don't think battery backup will be required or could fit. I'm thinking that I might also like a 5 LED battery charge circuit which comes on for 3 seconds every minute.

Thanks lads!

Last edited:
Right, however I intend mine to be on all the time, and probably use PWM to keep power draw down.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram in mind for what I intend to produce?

Last edited:
No, I'm going for a completely different, unique device.

According to the specs, it requires 1.8v at 20mA (per chip: not sure if that means per digit or per 4 digit display). That equals .36 watts. A cellphone battery may be around 3.6 volts, but I don't know how long it would last -- a week?

If that cellphone battery is rated for 1000mAh (an average, some cellphone batteries are less, some are a bit more) @ 3.6V then a circuit drawing 0.36W should (very roughly) run for about 10 hours.

However, that's assuming 100% efficiency , wich is impossible. Using resistors in series with your leds straight from 3.6V will waste a lot more power - so you'll have to use some switching regulator to lower the 3.6V closer to the 1.8V required by the leds. Even then, some power will be wasted.

No, I'm going for a completely different, unique device.

According to the specs, it requires 1.8v at 20mA (per chip: not sure if that means per digit or per 4 digit display). That equals .36 watts. A cellphone battery may be around 3.6 volts, but I don't know how long it would last -- a week?
The 20mA is likely per segment so it will vary with the number being displayed. Thus to display the single number 8 would require 7 * 20mA = 140mA.

But you could probably reduce that current and still have a visible display, depending upon the ambient light.

Last edited:
The best way to save current is to multiplex the display so only one display is lit at a time. However, each led will have to be driven with maxium current, otherwise the display will become very dim.

I don't see how it would help. PWM itself won't save power, using a low duty cycle will , but then the leds will become very dim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back