Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'battery operated cigarette lighters and gaslighters'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks_raman

I need circuit diagrams and ideas for constructing battery operated
cigarette lighters and battery operated lighters for lighting gas ovens.
A single 'AA'should be used for the above lighters.
Please help.
Thanking you
ks_raman

well for lighting a gas you could use an inverter to generate high voltage adn a spark, but for lighting the cigarette you need some resistance to heat the cigarette unti it lights.

A heating element may prove difficult, using only a AA battery, as a AA will provide, at most, a few watts. It doubt it can produce enough power to heat an element to 200 degrees, (unless it is a VERY small element :lol: )

Having said that - please go and prove me wrong. It would be quite interesting if it can be done.

You are right :) . Its just impossible to light a cigerrate using a single AA battery. Ofcourse it can light atleast one cigerrate using tungsten filament but is it feasible to get a new AA battery and a filament every time you want to smoke?? :lol: Well I stick to match-stick.

that i what i was saying it is easy to get high voltage to make a spark and light the gas, but you need a very small element to be able to heat it enough to light the cigarette, but i dont think you can get high power to light it, so it wont work,

Well, I have seen handy electric-sealer for plastic bags (stepler like thing) which works on four AA batteries. It has a small heating element which heats up quite well but the batteries don't last long. So you can't say that its impossible to generate enough heat to light a cigerrate but the battery won't last long.

but from what i remember, doesnt he need to use only one battery?
you know a "square battery"(i dont know what size it is, 4.5V one) can provide enough power,but none will last long enough. maibe use a rechargable one?

how bout using the laser thing from a ditched CD-Burner.
if it can burn a big CD, wont it burn a small cigerrate :shock: :?:

the only problem is that it might be harmfull to the skin or eyes if stared at. but hey smoking is injurious to health anyway. so there u r raman.

bye,
Pradeep K. Shima

"how bout using the laser thing from a ditched CD-Burner.
if it can burn a big CD, wont it burn a small cigerrate"
The beam is focused to a very tiny spot to blow tiny holes in the thin metal layer.
It will make a really super laser pointer, though.
"battery operated lighters for lighting gas ovens"
Convert the battery voltage to 300v, then increase it even further with a pulse transformer(I have made 1cm sparks by discharging a 0.1uf cap charged to 300v through the primary of a flyback transformer).

spark isnt a problem then right ?

the problem remains that of creating a small fire to light the cigerate.
y not put a tiny gas cylinder in the lighter just like normal lighters and use the spark to light that gas up ?

the requirement is to have an battery OPERATED lighter and not a lighter
composed entirely of the battery :!: :idea: :twisted:

bye,
Pradeep K. Shima

Same principle is used in Gas Lighters but what about the cigerrate one?

kinjal,

c my last post on this topic.
y wont it b able to light a cigrrete :roll:

bye,
Shima

I have searched internet in Google search engine with 'battery operated cigaratte lighters' and found so many products. But they use two AA
batteries. They are small. It can be carried in our pocket.
How they work? You can find them at
**broken link removed**
Thanks for all of you

pkshima said:
kinjal,

c my last post on this topic.
y wont it b able to light a cigrrete :roll:

bye,
Shima
???
Thats what I was asking. Agreed that quartz will ignite the gas but what about the cigerrate? How is bogdan going to light it with quartz? See we are going towards 21st century and don't expect one to ge back and become primitive mans. They use to set fire that way :lol:

u dont get me.
i said have a tiny gas cylinder INSIDE the lighter just like
common cigerrete lighters have. the quartz or whatever will produce a spark that will ignite the gas and there will be a small fire that will light a cigerrete.

the requirment dosnt state it shudnt use any part of conventional lighters.

well i know that you wouldnt light a cigarette with a quarts, but it works for gas. maybe is you squeze the quartz, then you might be able to ligkt it in a few hours :?

I know that this is old. But, if anyone reads this now. I AM THE ONE who invented the battery operated lighter. At first, it was a 9 volt battery and steel wool. That is how it was presented to the inventers company.

AND YES:
it does work

Last edited:
tungsten filiment lighter

Believe it or not, you do not need a power source at all to light a filament hot enough to light a cigarette. Many years ago I had a lighter that,with no power source would light a cigarette! It looked like two lipstick tubes. One standard lipstick size. One sampler lipstick size,side by side. The large one contained felt around its inside diameter. The smaller one held a very thin tungsten wire filament. The large one was first filled with enough denatured alcohol to keep it moist. You heated the tungsten filament over a stove burner flame. This is the incredible part. The filament was then placed into the small tube. It stayed hot for so long, that when you pulled it out of it's tube, and inserted it into the large tube of denatured alcohol, It was warm enough to ignite the alcohol instantly. The filament only had to be heated once. When it ignited, it reheated the filament enough to work the next time, even if it was weeks between lights. I often wish that I still had that lighter today. So, that's something to ponder during your attempt to build your lighter. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back