Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery "Fuel" Gauge circut help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I am toying with the idea of building a battery fuel gauge for a NiMH powered dive light and have found a 10 segment LED "bar graph": 10 Segment LED Bar Graph and a LM3914 driver: **broken link removed**

I am having some trouble determining if I can use the charge level of the batteries to provide the input signal or if I have to step the voltage down. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for the help.

-Nate

All the 3914 with LEDs will do is make the equivalent of a voltmeter.

The fundamental question you need to ask is:

Can I estimate the power remaining in a NiMh battery pack by measuring its voltage?

Everything I know about NiMh batteries suggests that this is not a very reliable way to estimate the power remaining. In other words, the relationship between voltage and remaining capacity is highly non-linear.

There are battery fuel gauge ICs that mathematically integrate discharge current vs. time to display Ah used/remaining. Assuming your dive light is not continually switched on/off, a simple timer is a better way to go. If your light is turned on/off during use, then a simple count-down timer which is started/stopped with the light will work better than the voltmeter idea.

Last edited:
Mike is right. Use a fuel-gauge IC or a counter to determine the battery charge remaining. Voltage is not a reliable way to determine the charge state of a NiMH battery. Once the voltage starts to significantly drop you only have a small percentage of the battery charge left.

The electricity failed in a building under construction and it was very dark when I was at the top of a tall ladder. But I had my flashlight (called a torch in Britain). My flashlight was fine for a minute then dimmed for a few seconds until it was useless. The Ni-MH battery ran out of charge. It was dangerous to climb down in pitch blackness. It might be the same when diving.

A caution: The fuel gauge or counter will only work well with a freshly charged battery. After a few months, standard NiMH batteries lose much of their charge through self-discharge. The new "precharged" or low self-discharge NiMH batteries are much better in that respect and generally still maintain a high percentage of their charge, even after a year of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back