Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery eliminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaman

I am trying to find out how to eliminate the battery on a small displacement pit bike (mini bike) so as to be able to use the head lite etc. without the maitenance of a 6v battery. Will a capacitor do the job and if so what capacity would be best for a headlite, tail lite, 2 instrument lites and an occasional small horn. Usually there would be no load at all except for the possibility of a brake lite. The original systym was set up to carry these items with the 6v battery. Thanks ! ken

You do understand the power needs to come from somewhere right, a capacitor is a passive element, not active, it does not create energy.

Look into something like this: **broken link removed**

You can power those things while biking :)

Does it have battery ignition system? If so, you need a battery for that so the bike can start.

People will use a BIG cap 33000uF or larger, mainly just to smooth out the recified AC from
the alternator. You can buy "battery eliminator" caps from many of the cycle outlets. But they are large and expensive. I would just buy a new 6v sealed gell cell, probably under $20 for a small one and cheaper than the cap. I recently bought a 6v 1300mAh sealed battery NEW for about $7 USD (trade price) retail was about $11 USD.

I am trying to find out how to eliminate the battery on a small displacement pit bike (mini bike) so as to be able to use the head lite etc. without the maitenance of a 6v battery. Will a capacitor do the job and if so what capacity would be best for a headlite, tail lite, 2 instrument lites and an occasional small horn. Usually there would be no load at all except for the possibility of a brake lite. The original systym was set up to carry these items with the 6v battery. Thanks ! ken
If you want to eliminate the maintenance, get a sealed gel-cel battery.

Last edited:
I understand that a capacitor only holds a charge from the alternator as the motor is running. All I want to do is to have a bit of current for the lights and horn. The motor runs on a magneto. Thanks to all who answered, I guess I wasn't clear enough with my request. ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back