Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloishis89

I have a 12 volt 18 amp hour battery and a 12 volt 9.5 amp hour charger that was originally for a different battery. Is it ok if I use that charger on the bigger battery? Since they are rated at the same voltage, I am guessing that it will just take longer to charge, but I wanted to make sure. The battery I want to charge and the battery that the charger was originally for are both sealed lead acid.

If it's bigger yes, it will just take longer. Depending on the charger you just have to be careful if you use the charger for a larger battery on a smaller one.

I have a 12 volt 18 amp hour battery and a 12 volt 9.5 amp hour charger

Depending on the charger you just have to be careful if you use the charger for a larger battery on a smaller one.

None of this makes any sense.

Sceadwian - It is lucky you are not writing any technical books.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense to me.

You can use a smaller battery charger to charge a larger battery than what it has been designed for but not the other way round.

Colin, what doesn't make sense?

I agree with Hero999

Firstly you cannot get a: "12 volt 9.5 amp hour charger." You can get a charger for a 9.5 AHr battery.
Secondly, you don't know what type of battery the charger is designed to charge.
You cannot connect "any charger" to "any battery." Even though the charging current may be low, the cut-off (cut-out) voltage is very important as some batteries are designed with a high "gassing voltage" and a charger for this type of battery, on a low gassing battery, will dry it out in 6 months.

I have a 12 volt 18 amp hour battery and a 12 volt 9.5 amp hour charger that was originally for a different battery. Is it ok if I use that charger on the bigger battery? Since they are rated at the same voltage, I am guessing that it will just take longer to charge, but I wanted to make sure. The battery I want to charge and the battery that the charger was originally for are both sealed lead acid.

This is not to difficult to understand, IF you read what the OP says:
I have a 12 volt 18 amp hour battery
The battery I want to charge and the battery that the charger was originally for are both sealed lead acid.
Since they are rated at the same voltage

and a 12 volt 9.5 amp hour charger

Which to me means a charger that was designed to charge the ORIGINAL 9.5AHr battery.

As 'Sceadwian' says its OK, it will just take longer to charge.

Yeah, I am sorry that my first post was confusing. To clarify, I have:

1. A 12v, 9.5 amp hour battery (sealed lead acid)
2. A charger for #1
3. A 12v, 18 amp hour battery (sealed lead acid)

I wanted to know if #2 would work with #3, and Sceadwian and ericgibbs both said that it should, but will just take longer to charge.

Yes, it will take roughly twice the time, however you should monitor the charger itself for overheating, charger topologies are varied to say the least, if the charger was just barely able to charge the #1 battery safely then the extra time it takes to charge the #3 battery might be more than the charger can handle in the long run. Just keep an eye on it, I tend to err on the side of caution, even if unwarranted simply because you can't be too safe, you can however be not safe enough =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back