Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Charger Help Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejohn69

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie trying to resurrect an old Sears battery charger that has quit working. Sears Model No. 608-718200. My buddy who has some electronics knowledge says the rectifier is gone. I also think the transformer might be kaput too. All needs to fit within the existing case that's 5-7/8 in. wide, 9-7/8 lg. & 5-1/2 in. dp. Output taps are at 2 A & 10A. The original control module naturally is no longer available from Sears parts as item 16 on parts list as SC-1-134210. Output of 2 A works to recharge neighbor's lawnmower while the 10A works for my 23YO car.

Can anybody on this forum help me out?

I'm an older guy on a fixed income.
I can drill, fab sheet metal, and possibly anything else it may take.
Figure that mounting something, not counting a transformer as another item, itself should work.
Please bear in mind mind that I'm also a novice solderer.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks

Welcome.
Modern battery chargers will not charge a battery that is under a certain voltage as overdischarged or dead. Keep that in mind before attempting to fix. Try the charger with a good battery first.
Unclear : What has output taps of 2A and 10 A ?

You may not be able to find replacement sears parts for your Sears battery charger but you can repair it good as new with available parts. I still have and use 2 old school battery chargers. Old school battery charges have several uses that new charges will not do. Plug in the transformer check the AC output voltage on the secondary see what you get? Transformer should be about 12VAC. Bridge rectifier and the correct filter capacitor should give you about 17 volts DC.

From your description I'd be looking for a older second hand charger that fits the description and making or adapting its case, as if the control board and the transformer have failed in yours then the whole thing has probably had its day.
There is a reasonable amount of electronics including power electronics in a charger and would be fairly challenging for a noob, one way to tackle it if you really want to make something is to see to ahve a look on ebay and see if you can get a module that will do the job, from its spec you ought to get an idea of what transformer you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back