Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charger for Lion Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki124

Hello All,
I have 9.0 V 7.8Ah Lion rechargeable battery ,Please suggest me Battery charger IC or battery charging scheme .

You need to figure out what voltage it is - it can't be 9V.

Personally I work on 4.2V per cell (fully charged), so three in series would be 12.6V and two only 8.4V - even if you work on the discharged voltage, you still can't get to 9V, as you don't discharge as low as 3V.

It's probably two cells masquerading as a 9V battery as most things that use a 9V battery will work fine on a partially discharge battery.

Mike.

There is a tradeoff on Lithium battery capacity often boasted by those asian companies who utilize >=4.2V CV and <= 3.0 V cuttoff with 1C rates and thus greatly compromise the longevity in charge cycles and lifetime Ah expected. (mAh * charge cycles) (so obviously 3S voltage = 9V)

So decide what you prefer, lifeterm capacity or 1 cycle capacity and then choose a charger and product use to match. The longest life for example might be to use only 1/2 of the capacity and have two packs that can be easily swapped, so you only CV charge to 4.0V or 85% (?) capacity and then stop using at 35% SoC using only 50%.

According to battery university site, using only 50% of it's capacity in this approximate range yields >10x as many charge cycles.

But also realize a 1st order model of a battery cell is a capacitor with ESR resistance. So if using more than 1C discharge current, the threshold shifts due to I*ESR voltage drop from the resting voltage. A 2nd order model has 2 or more RC equivalent circuits with different RC=T time constants, short and long.

Last edited:
A 9V lithium battery can be made with three CR2032 (or smaller) coin cell Non-rechargeable batteries.

The battery charger must match the battery specs. But Niki never told us the detailed specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back