Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I'm busy building a pic based electronic door lock which will operate the lock via a relay. I've been thinking it might be a good idea to include a battery backup incase there's a power failure and i cant get into my house.

Using a lead battery looks like a good solution. My question is on the charging of it - I've read a few posts here about backup batteries, but should i be worried about overcharging the battery. You can charge it with a constant current, but do I need to monitor the voltage/current and shut it off when its been charged. The backup battery will most likely never kick in but want to have it just in case.

Your feedback would be welcome.

You simply need to arrange for the battery to be 'trickle charged', this is a low charging current which keeps the battery topped up, but can never overcharge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back