Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Batteries in series controlled by momentary SPST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_

Okay, let me try to explain what I want to do. The basic premise of this project is a Nerf gun. I will order two 9.6v NiMH battery packs to replace the original "D" batteries. I want to be able to use one battery @ 9.6v for regular use, but have the option of using the second battery as a sort of "turbo mode", controlled by a momentary switch on the gun.

1. Can this be done? With my limited electronics knowhow, I can't for the life of me come up with a wiring layout with which I can be confident in this working.

2. What in the world would said diagram look like?

Any help with this (admittedly noobish) project is much appreciated!

-Paul

If you want them in parallel, that's pretty simple.

If in series, are you sure the gun can handle the voltage?

Here's a simple way to do it, with 2 momentary switches. One switch is for normal firing and the other is for turbo firing.

The diode is to protect the 2nd battery from being shorted if both switches are pressed at once.

Make sure the diode is rated for the maximum current the coil will draw with both batteries in series.

Attachments

• nerfgun.JPG
    nerfgun.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Looks to me like B2 is still shorted, if both switches are closed at the same time.

John

You only need a diode in series with SW1 and not SW2.

Gak... my first draft did have the diode on SW1... then I thought, better move it to SW2 to eliminate the voltage drop on the non-turbo trigger.

It's what I get for trying to be smarter than I really am. Or something like that. ;)

Last edited:
I'm positive the gun will handle the voltage, the Vulcan motor has had upwards of thirty volts through it before, though it melted the plastic. I am working on a solution to that as well... a 40mm fan, some holes, and another SPST should take care of that... :p

This seems like it will be really cool, though I will have to either put the "turbo" button on the battery area, or lose the modularity of the battery tray. I wish there was a simple, cheap middle ground, but there's just not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back