Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic stamp, stepper and 'muscle wire'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldilocks

Hi, I've been out of electronics for about 10+ years and have gone a little rusty!

I want to use my basic stamp kit (I've got quite a lot) to run a small stepper, then use it to operate a length of Nitinol. The project is to measure out accurate lengths of magnesium ribbon using a stepper, then cutting it with a Nitinol actuated cutter (scissors!).

I believe that I can drive a power mosfet (diode protected) directly from the stamp, and the stepper directly from the mosfet. The only additional components are a couple of resistors - a few 10s of k in series with the gate and a meg or so from gate to drain to protect from static.

Picbits have a IRF540 28A 100v at 25p which look good to me for both the stepper and the wire. They also have a 24v 0.6A stepper which might be OK (I don't particularly want to use 24V - I work in a school and 12V is much more accessible.)

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Has anyone got any comments?

In my opinion, the transistors is overkill. You don't need that powerful transistors. But no worry - it will work.

The stepper will probably run well with only 12V, but maximum torque will be greatly reduced. That will affect acceleration and max speed.

Thanks Grossel. I recognise that the Mosfets are over-specced, but they are cheap!

At a theoretical level would there be any advantages/disadvantages between, say, a 10A 50V mosfet and a 20A 100V one?

Ian

Thanks Grossel. I recognise that the Mosfets are over-specced, but they are cheap!
:)

At a theoretical level would there be any advantages/disadvantages between, say, a 10A 50V mosfet and a 20A 100V one?
The latter one may be physically bigger. It also might have a slower response time, but that's might not be true (see datasheets).

I would consider using a ULN2003 or ULN2004 darlington chip. They are great for driving those little stepper motors at a few hundred mA and much easier to contruct than 4 separate transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back