Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic IC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I produced Talking Electronics magazine for the past 25 years and wrote 15 books on electronics.
I have a list of more than 250 kits and sold over 20,000 FM bug kits called "Ant," just to name one of the kits.
I wrote the course for the Australian Digital Electronics School and sold hundreds of courses.

Maybe you were not in the hobby market during your time when you were in electronics; otherwise you would have seen the magazine in the shops. We had over 1,200 shops selling the magazine.
As soon as I launched the magazine, Electronics Today International brought out an opposing magazine for a lower price and a higher print run. They lasted 6 months and rang me to say I had “won the day” They were pulling out and it cost them over $40,000. They also contacted all the advertisers and offered half-price advertising for 12 months. This prevented me getting any advertising what-so-ever.
On top of this they informed a reliable source that they will be reading my magazine and if any paragraph had been copied from any source, they would close me down.
I lasted 25 years. Hobby Electronics lasted 6 issues and Electronics Today International died some 12 years ago. Even Electronics Australia tried to screw me to the wall. I still have their original letter where they tried to sign me up with a clause where I would pay $7,500 fine for late delivery of copy. That’s over $20,000 in today’s money.
That’s how hard it is to conduct business.

I don’t know why you have not heard of me. Over 50,000 other hobbyists have. If you divide 750,000 by 50,000 it means each hobbyist has bought about 15 of my magazines and books. How many times have you bought more than one book from an author?

Last edited:
You have seemed to dodge this question. Am I to assume you are a self-proclaimed expert with no EE credentials, yet you presume to speak for what the EE community does and doesn't do?

I would be interested to see a reply to this post.?

C55:
Are you are formally 'qualified' professional EE engineer.?

If yes, what in and when.?

Last edited:
When I went through university, transistors had just been introduced and my thesis was on the newly developed FET. The lecturer did not have any comparisons to check my work. A transistor cost over $2.00 and we were just into the "OC" series. Electronics was just a branch of Electrical Engineering.

When I went through university, transistors had just been introduced and my thesis was on the newly developed FET. The lecturer did not have any comparisons to check my work. A transistor cost over $2.00 and we were just into the "OC" series. Electronics was just a branch of Electrical Engineering.

So, reading this post, you are saying that you have NO electronics qualifications whatsoever.?

Its no shame to say you are not a qualified as an electronics engineer, many good practising engineers are fully not qualified, they are just damned good at what they do and have many years of practical experience.

The problems begin when you start preaching what 'professional' engineers do and dont do...
and start advising students and the like on how it should be done.

Many of us here are retired/working qualified professional engineers who can smell bullsh*t from afar,
so please drop all this Walter Mitty nonsense.

Last edited:
I am a fully qualified Electrical and Electronics engineer from 1970, for what that is worth. It's worth absolutley nothing.
Not only was the schooling behind the state of the art in those days but the IC was not even covered.
The only thing we had was transistor NORBITS. AND and OR gates made with transistors.
Of course I got an enormous shock when I landed my first job in servicing. But that's what brought me to attention and started the magazine.

Maybe you have a different approach to doing things and I have mine.
I have been teaching teachers in the IT field for a number of years and they admit they have absolutley no idea of how to "see" electronics in action and state I have a different approach; that the students understand.

I notice you have not come back with the solar panel dispute.

I notice you have not come back with the solar panel dispute.

You started rambling about charging capacitors.?

What about the solar panel thread is there to dispute.???

I am a fully qualified Electrical and Electronics engineer from 1970,

You keep saying this,
exactly which EE qualifications do you hold certificates for.?

Its easy enough to check.

Last edited:
The degree states: "Electrical Engineering with Electronics"

Someone mentioned that if a Schottkey diode was replaced by a normal diode from a solar panel, the charging current would be reduced by 8%.

colin55;710576]The degree states: "Electrical Engineering with Electronics"

Would you post the year and the University that you received this degree qualification, the degree certificate has a unique registration number, so that I can check, if I am proved wrong I will publicly apolgise.

I can get the other details from your website

Someone mentioned that if a Schottkey diode was replaced by a normal diode from a solar panel, the charging current would be reduced by 8%.

It was NOT mentioned in that way, again you are trying to distort whats been said.

I said that if a Schotty diode was used instead of a standard silicon diode [ you had suggested a 1N5404] the calculations and simulation I did for a solar panel indicated the current could be as much as 8% higher.

Last edited:
University of Melbourne, 1971 No 2128.

OK, I'll get my solicitor to check the Melbourne Univ records for 1971.

Give it a few days and I'll post the result as soon as I get it back.

I have the results for the query regarding your claimed electrical and electronic enigineering degree awarded
by The University of Melbourne Australia, circa 1971

A search of the Univ record archives shown NO record of your attendance at the Univ. of Melbourne during this period.

As far I am concerned this matter is now closed and I will not reply to any posts relating to it.

Last edited:
To: Ericgibbs.

What is the name of your solicitor that provided you with this information?

Last edited:
To: Ericgibbs.

Firstly you cannot make a search. You do not know my date of birth.
Secondly you cannot make an on-line search as the records only go back to 1974. My Degree is dated 1971.
Thirdly you have to pay for a hand-search and it takes 3 days for a result. You claim a result after 1 day!

Colin Mitchell

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back