Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic heating circuit - Complete noob needs prod in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexman

Hi all,

I'm in a little over my head here but would be very grateful of any advice.

I need to build a very basic circuit but have no experience in electronics other than basic bits at school over 15 years ago.

I need to create a simple portable heating element consisting of a length of straight nichrome wire (8cm), running off 2 AA batteries and able to reach temps hot enough to cut polystyrene.

Very early stages, so suggestions very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Lexman

No 'circuit' required, just a length of the nichrome wire - start long, and shorten it until you get the required temperature.

Bear in mind the batteries are going to have a VERY short life.

Thanks guys, seems like trial and error is the way to go then. Would nichrome be the best to go for? What thickness would you recommend?

I've used about 10 cm of solid 2.5 mm2 wire. I really don't think that you can damage those soldering guns easily, but mine did get a bit hot after extended use. The open circuit voltage is about 0.2 V

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back