Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Base voltage of 2N4401.

Lightium

I am simulating a circuit and am wondering if a 2N4401 with a max base voltage of 6 volts can handle 7?

That's the maximum reverse base-emitter voltage rating, not the forward voltage.
The base-emitter junction forward voltage when the transistor is on, is about 0.7V.

What is the circuit?

Typical curve Vbe versus Ib

1689390865340.png

Regards, Dana.

That's the maximum reverse base-emitter voltage rating, not the forward voltage.
The base-emitter junction forward voltage when the transistor is on, is about 0.7V.

What is the circuit?
Yes, you need at least 0.7V to turn on, but the max is 6V.

Yes, you need at least 0.7V to turn on, but the max is 6V.
The absolute maximum Emitter-Base voltage is the reverse bias breakdown voltage threshold, NOT forward conduction voltage.

The Base-Emitter forward direction is a maximum current.
50mA is the highest value I can find in the data sheet, which probably occurs somewhat under 1V

If you put too much current through the base it will fail. 6V (forward bias) would be rather catastrophic!

I just tested a random NPN (BC550) with 90mA base current and that was still well under 1V forward.

I was curious if the transistor would explode with a directly connected higher voltage, but nothing spectacular with the one I tried - connecting a half charged lithium cell (3.8V) directly across it did nothing visible, but the transistor was quite hot and the base open circuit afterwards.

So, if I have 6 volts on the base it will fail?
As already said - the base will clamp at around 0.7V, and if you apply 6V (without current limiting) then it will blow instantly (BC550 fuse!).

As also mentioned, the 6V specification is REVERSE Vbe - so applying -6V to the base. This is why you can only use low voltage supplies on multivibrators (unless you add protection) as it effectively switches almost the entire supply voltage backwards across the Vbe junctions.

A 6V multivibrator 'should' be OK, but a 9V one would almost certainly blow at least one of the transistors.

If you put too much current through the base it will fail. 6V (forward bias) would be rather catastrophic!

I just tested a random NPN (BC550) with 90mA base current and that was still well under 1V forward.

I was curious if the transistor would explode with a directly connected higher voltage, but nothing spectacular with the one I tried - connecting a half charged lithium cell (3.8V) directly across it did nothing visible, but the transistor was quite hot and the base open circuit afterwards.

It would die too easily to be 'spectacular' - 1N4148 diodes across a 240V mains plug makes a better bang :D

(Apprentice days in the workshop :D )

I suppose a BC550 would probably blow quite nicely with 240V across it as well?.

So I see no where in that circuit that any significant reverse bias voltage is being applied to a base-emitter junction.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back