Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Base physical quantity: Current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any of this matter?.

We all know what are meant by volts, amps and ohms, and the formulas work beautifully for these units - who wants ohms law redefining as:

Volts = Ohms x 26984763545 Stupid units

Nigel Goodwin said:
Does any of this matter?.

We all know what are meant by volts, amps and ohms, and the formulas work beautifully for these units - who wants ohms law redefining as:

Wow. I guess what you're trying to tell us is that there is no room on these forums for discussions bordering on the theoretical or, <gasp>, philosophical, although in essence the whole topic is quite physical.

If a discussion annoys you, then why enter it? Abstinence is bliss, my friend!

<interruption by the mailman>

Hey! Look at this! My Amazon.com package just arrived.

<frantically opening the box>

"Advanced Oscilloscope Handbook - For Techincians and Engineers" by Derek Cameron (c) 1977 Reston Publishing Company. An oldie but a goldie! I guess I can do something practical with this, eh?

Cifrocco said:
Hmm this is the first time I see somebody is picking on Nigel (especialy when he is MOD) :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:
Cifrocco said:
Hmm this is the first time I see somebody is picking on Nigel (especialy when he is MOD) :lol:

It'd be really childish to delete his posts though! :twisted:
Yep, I was curious what would you do :lol:

Jay.slovak said:
Cifrocco said:

I would hardly call my response picking on Nigel. It's probably the other way around. If my topic or this thread offends people or is outside the scope of this site, then it can easily be deleted with nary a consequence to anyone's life.

I was eager to launch several more topics in the interest of analyzing and discussing electronics-related phenomena and issues in a sort of round-table format, but I think I'm addressing the wrong audience. It seems there are more tinkerers here than thinkers, which is fine, the world needs you guys, too!

Hey, look at that! With this post, which is probably my last in these forums, I just got promoted from Electronics Newbie to Electronics Novice!!!

Cifrocco said:
I was eager to launch several more topics in the interest of analyzing and discussing electronics-related phenomena and issues in a sort of round-table format, but I think I'm addressing the wrong audience. It seems there are more tinkerers here than thinkers, which is fine, the world needs you guys, too!

These are forums for Electronics, you appear to be looking more for philosophical discussions than electronics ones? - as you say, you probably are addressing the wrong audience here!.

Hey, look at that! With this post, which is probably my last in these forums, I just got promoted from Electronics Newbie to Electronics Novice!!!

Your rating changes at specific numbers of posts, with the last change being to 'Electronics God' at 1000 posts.

We lose!

Nigel Goodwin said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
These are forums for Electronics
:?: So the possible future use of a different definition of the amp (that was the starting point) means that this is NOT an electronics subject :?:
You happily refer to bytes of memory without them being a 'basic physical quantitiy' so why not stick with Amps=Ohms*Volts ???
Cifrocco said:
but I think I'm addressing the wrong audience.
Maybe so ... pearl before swine :?:

If this is your last posting then we have succeded only in losing someone who doesn't blindly accept 'current thinking' - a shame :!:

Nigel Goodwin said:
Cifrocco said:

These are forums for Electronics, you appear to be looking more for philosophical discussions than electronics ones? - as you say, you probably are addressing the wrong audience here!.

Your rating changes at specific numbers of posts, with the last change being to 'Electronics God' at 1000 posts.

Strictly speaking, I think that the discussion is more a physics discussion than an electronics one. But I think that the spirit and intent of the topic is appropriate for the forums. Where does one draw the line? I mean if you want to be really strict, all of electronics is physics. I think if it is related, (like the definition of ampere) it's sorta appropriate!

:)

If Nigel feels it's innapropriate, there is an off topic forum he can move these things too now :)

plot said:
If Nigel feels it's innapropriate, there is an off topic forum he can move these things too now :)

First off, I've never suggested it's inappropriate, but it probably would be if I moved it to the '**** Chat' forum!. If I DID think it was inappropriate I'd move it to the 'Trashcan' forum, which would be the correct place for an inappropriate thread.

Nigel Goodwin said:
plot said:

First off, I've never suggested it's inappropriate, but it probably would be if I moved it to the '**** Chat' forum!. If I DID think it was inappropriate I'd move it to the 'Trashcan' forum, which would be the correct place for an inappropriate thread.
Yep, Exactly Nigel!

OK, easing the thread back onto the tracks a little bit here, I offer a few publications on the subject of metrology and the SI system.

NIST Special Publication 330, 2001 Edition
The International System of Units (SI), Barry N. Taylor, Editor
This pub has a very complete list of SI Prefixes from yotta (10^24) to yocto (10^-24)

NIST Special Publication 811, 1995 Edition
Guide for the Use of the International System of Units (SI), Barry N. Taylor

NBS (NIST) Special Publication 447, March 1976
Weights and Measures Standards of the United States: A Brief History
This is an older publication printed before the National Bureau of Standards (NBS) was changed to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)

NIST Handbook 44, 2005 Edition
Specifications, Tolerances, and Other Technical Requirements for Weighing and Measuring Devices

The Measure of all Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error that Transformed the World, by Ken Alder, 2002, ISBN 0-7432-1675-X
This book describes the trek of Jean-Babtiste-Joseph Delambre and Pierre-Francois-Andre Machain to establish the meter as one ten-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the equator.

I was surprised to learn that 2.54 cm/in is now an EXACT conversion for length between the metric and the English/SAE/Imperial system. Knowing the the two systems as I had, I knew that the exact conversion HAD to be some irrational number. But with the push toward metric and knowing that in some disciplines such as machining, if you're metric, stay that way; if English, stay that way. Don't try to convert from one to another to use, for instance, a non-electronic micrometer in an alternate system. To use conversion tables, you'll automatically induce error.

That change in the cm/in conversion has really screwed up things in the U.S. where land surveying has always used the old conversion and STILL DOES. To switch to the new conversion factor, land surveys will shift by inches, feet or more, causing all kinds of hate and discontent!

Dean

NIST Special Publication 330, 2001 Edition
The International System of Units (SI), Barry N. Taylor, Editor
This pub has a very complete list of SI Prefixes from yotta (10^24) to yocto (10^-24)

Wow, a Yotta is a lotta! I don't think I'll be dealing with that prefix on a daily basis. Then again I never thought I'd have a terabyte of storage in my home PC, either, lol!

Just picked up the thread. Definition of an ampere as taught in my schoolboy days:

'That current which, when passed through a standard siver nitrate solution, will deposit silver at the rate of 0.001118 grams/sec'

Don't ask what a 'standard silve...' is - I only learned it parrot-fashion. :wink:

pebe said:
Don't ask what a 'standard silve...' is - I only learned it parrot-fashion.

A 'standard' solution is normally a solution whose concentration and purity is accurately known and proven against a higher standard.

However, in terms of the ampere, it would seem that the actual concentration of the silver nitrate solution is not important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back