Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Banned members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a look at the configuration files for the two members, the one which is not explicitly stated as being banned does not have the "Banned" attribute set.
Why this should be, I have no idea.
My wild guess is that it due to some quirk of the forum software.
Also, one was banned recently under the current software, the other was banned some time ago under a previous version of the forum software.

Does that mean the one that isn't named as banned would be accepted back but the others wouldn't be?
I think we can say that "Banned" means "Banned", not that one means "Banned" and the other means "Banned but not quite as much".

JimB

That answers my question. It just was that the one thread showed the differences between three people and how their ban was treated. I remember when Hero999 and Sceadwain got banned, and think they were listed as such pretty fast. Same way when "billymayo" got banned. Just wondered why the one who's name shall never be mentioned was treated different. Without the thread that popped up I never would have saw this.

The old vBulletin software automatically labeled banned members as banned. This new Xenforo software does not. Simple as that.

That's unfortunate. The social stigma of the "BANNED" banner is a good incentive to play nice.

The old vBulletin software automatically labeled banned members as banned. This new Xenforo software does not. Simple as that.

KJ6EAD got it right. Not too sure about that, AAC uses the same Xenoforo and it did there. And now you mods are in the know about it, so why isn't it done manually, by one of you?

In that thread I can see 2 banned members but nothing else! Can you explain what you're talking about?

Mike.

Look again, it is now 'fixed', that's what shortbus was pointing out.

KJ6EAD got it right. Not too sure about that, AAC uses the same Xenoforo and it did there. And now you mods are in the know about it, so why isn't it done manually, by one of you?
Why is it such a big deal? The strike through the user's name is a pretty good indication that the user was banned. Not sure why you are making such a big deal about it....?

AAC may be based on Xenforo software but that doesn't mean it's identical to the version (settings, plugins, etc) that we have here.

The strike through the user's name is a pretty good indication that the user was banned.
Hey Matt,
not sure what OS/browser combo you are using, but my Win 8.1/Chrome does not show a banned member's name as being struck through.
Hero999 & Sceadwian were shown as "Banned" beneath their avatars, no text was struck through.
tcmtech just displayed as a regular member, although when trying to check his profile, nothing was available.

Regards.

I also get no strikethrough with Android/Chrome.

Amusingly, I see the contradictory: "Banned" and "Most Helpful Member" both displayed for the same member.

Hey Matt,
not sure what OS/browser combo you are using, but my Win 8.1/Chrome does not show a banned member's name as being struck through.
Hero999 & Sceadwian were shown as "Banned" beneath their avatars, no text was struck through.
tcmtech just displayed as a regular member, although when trying to check his profile, nothing was available.

Regards.
I also get no strikethrough with Android/Chrome.

Amusingly, I see the contradictory: "Banned" and "Most Helpful Member" both displayed for the same member.
Really? Well that really changes things then. My apologies Shortbus - I have always seen a strike through the user's name, regardless of browser, operating system, and computer. It's been like that since I first joined the forum. This sounds like a bug to me. dmiyares Any ideas?

Here's what I see for a banned member:
banned.png

That explains a lot then, and I can understand the unease. Don't worry, the user in question in that thread is banned permanently and will not be allowed back.

I did see a stencil across their avatars that showed banned and a line through their names.
Now I see the a line and the "banned"

Sceadwian.PNG

My screen showed all of the names with no line through and no mention of TCM as being banned, but the others were named banned. So people posting to his three phase thread (that he claims inventing, but copied from another site that had it years before he did) Think he is still on the site.

But what the He!! I'm a nobody here.

This is what I see with Win 8.1/Chrome, same on Win 8.1/Firefox and also on iPhone7/Safari:
tcm1.png

This is what I see.

Maybe it's a moderator thing? I'm using Win10 and Firefox and there is no line through the name.

What if another forum is going through TCM hell and looks here? It shows him as a member in good standing. I know other forums aren't your problem but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back