Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Awesome LED VU meter: Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
Hello All,

Recently I'm playing a bit on LED VU meter circuits and trying to make the best one :)

I've already built the normal circuit using LM3915N, however,

Do anyone of you experts have an idea on this cool thing is the question:-

Really impressed on that and that's what actually in my mind since so long(yep, that floating peaks..you got right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Says the video is "blocked".

Hello All,

Recently I'm playing a bit on LED VU meter circuits and trying to make the best one :)

I've already built the normal circuit using LM3915N, however,

Do anyone of you experts have an idea on this cool thing is the question:-

Really impressed on that and that's what actually in my mind since so long(yep, that floating peaks..you got right? ;)

That looks like a professional type VU that has "peak hold" on it. Not the cheap stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can understand that its not a cheap stuff because it outputs a very professional grade display like something we could see in a costlier PA systems and all, but I thought there is a possibility of a single chip IC with LED driver/peak hold for that -not much popular though.

At first I thought it could be a PIC micro stuff with programmed output.

However, do anybody think that AN6870N is the engine here(I think it used in old electronics FL displays)..could be an obsolete chip :)

Could be possible with Sanyo LB1412 also, but I don't think that is the stuff used here.

My search didn't return anything else. Dr peppers, I like that Nixie display!

Last edited:
You could use two LM3915s. One with a averaging front end and the other with a peak detector. One set for line and the other set for dot mode.

You could use two LM3915s. One with a averaging front end and the other with a peak detector. One set for line and the other set for dot mode.
Or use one and switch with a analouge switch between the 2 modes and levels.

Older pa equipment used lm3914's, the last led (high end) can be connected to the dot/bar mode pin, so that when the display goes right to the end it goes to dot mode, showing that the display is off the scale.

You could use 2 lm3914's, good idea, it would not look like the video however, in the vid the peak led stays on for a second then resets, 2 lm3914s would give 2 simultaneous displays, one a bar and the other a dot, the dot would go up to the peak signal level then creep back down instead of resetting, you'd filter the bar with a faster response and the dot with a very slow one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understood using the two LM3914/15 in parallel mode, but I doubt with the hold/creep down 'dot' mode operation because, the 'hold' should stay for a second or so and the 'creep down' should be very fast, don't think this double configuration is possible with a single LM3914/15. The 'bar' mode should work fine anyway.

Means if the peak holds for a second, then the each downward creeping LED's will take the same 1 sec. :)

Nice thoughts anyway, I appreciate it.

The ".cz" indicates Czech Republic. How is are your Czech language skills?.

Eh?..trying to get a USB PIC Programmer this month itself and start executing this cool stuff...

Will post the results.

Cheers. :)

Like the spectro analyser mr simpson, does it use fft, or are the channel filters hardware?

Also like the way the characters fade in and out using partial graphics on the vu, professional touch.

I did not do these projects. I have done similar things.
The fade in / out is because the LCD is slow to respond. It is not a feature.

I've never done a vu, but I did write some code to display the lamba signal from a exahust gas sensor and I had a vertical rather than horizontal bargraph so that I could show a trend, it worked in the end but I remember having trouble getting the custom character generator to work in the display.
Theres some nice examples where peeps have done this sort of thing with a glcd, never used one of those yet.

I have done bargraphs on character LDCs (16x4 or 16x2). In horizontal mode I made 128 position meters. Using 8 custom characters.

I am playing with GLCDs. Some take each byte as 8 dots vertically. If you want 8 dots horizontally then there is much software overhead.
Some GLCDs use one byte/ pixel. Some use 3 bytes / pixel. Some use 1.5 bytes / pixel. The last example in post #16 requires about 100 bytes to update the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back